Reason
Other
Country
US
State
PA
City
York
This is probably a stupid question, but I was reading on here and I am trying to figure out if MND and ALS are the same thing? If not , what is the difference?

Also, I have another question to add to my previous post. I have muscle twitches all over my body at least several times per day. My Dr prescribed anxiety meds and it is still happening.

I have what I perceive as "muscle weakness"--What I mean is when I go up steps my leg muscles feel wierd or when I put my arms above my head to do something my arms muscles feel wierd. Is this considered muscle weakness, or muscle fatigue? Is muscle weakness when you cant perform the task at all?

Saturday I went to New York City for the day. I carried bags all day and walked for ten hrs straight and I still have not recovered from it. I ache and can hardly move my body because I am so stiff. Is this something to worry about as far as ALS or MND goes? I have never felt this awful after going on a trip before. I am 28 years old and feel like I am 90!

Thanks for any help or info you can give! Have a blessed day! PS I have what I call Health Anxiety Disorder and tend to worry about everything! Thanks for putting up with me!

And thanks Wright to the answers to my previous post! :-D

hi anna

i read on your last post your mri showed brain lesions. have you had an explanation about this? a possible diagnosed? in ms a spinal tap can be normal,even a mri can be normal according to my neuro in the early stages. i was watched for 2yrs and had mri's to rule out ms. in mnd it is the grey matter where the lesions are, grey matter does not show on a mri. in ms it's lesions on the white matter that show up on mri,though you can have some grey matter involved in ms.i would ask for further investigation as to what these lesions are, you also need 6monthly mri's as i did to see if more lesions show up or some fade as can happen in ms, i have a friend with ms and my aunty had it for over 30yrs before she died.she was in a wheel chair in her early twenties but in her fiftys was as active as anything but she died suddenly of a brain hemorage.
ms is not a death sentance though and some may not progress much so dont worry.
hope this helps a little, take care
caroline:-D

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your reply. Before my neuro even did the spinal tap, he told me that he thought the lesions were from migraines. Apparently the lesions look the same, and I have had migraines all my life, hence the reason I was seeing him. He wanted to do a spinal tap anyway just to see if anything came up. He did that and tons of blood work. I got my MRI results in writing and the radiologist that reviewed them stated that they were minimal and commonly seen in migraine sufferers. My neuro concluded that with the spinal tap results, blood test results, and neuro exam that there is a 99.9 percent chance that I DONT have MS.......but I do have something going on with me....I am just not sure what.

AS I said before, I have diagnosed myself with Health Anxiety Disorder.....if you say a disease I will develop the symptoms and have it......It has been worse since the MS scare and knowing about those lesions on the brain.

I go back to my neuro in early June, so if I am not feeling better by then and still having the twitches and muscle weakness I will talk to him about it and ask for an EMG. I will also follow your advice and ask for another MRI since mine was in Nov. For nothing else at least maybe some peace of mind.

Thanks again!

This is probably a stupid question, but I was reading on here and I am trying to figure out if MND and ALS are the same thing? If not , what is the difference?

Also, I have another question to add to my previous post. I have muscle twitches all over my body at least several times per day. My Dr prescribed anxiety meds and it is still happening.

I have what I perceive as "muscle weakness"--What I mean is when I go up steps my leg muscles feel wierd or when I put my arms above my head to do something my arms muscles feel wierd. Is this considered muscle weakness, or muscle fatigue? Is muscle weakness when you cant perform the task at all?

Saturday I went to New York City for the day. I carried bags all day and walked for ten hrs straight and I still have not recovered from it. I ache and can hardly move my body because I am so stiff. Is this something to worry about as far as ALS or MND goes? I have never felt this awful after going on a trip before. I am 28 years old and feel like I am 90!

Thanks for any help or info you can give! Have a blessed day! PS I have what I call Health Anxiety Disorder and tend to worry about everything! Thanks for putting up with me!

And thanks Wright to the answers to my previous post! :-D
Anna0413 , I am not sure any one answered your question about MND and ALS. If not, here goes: ALS is one of the four or five tyes of motor neuron diseases (MND.) It is the fastest progresssing, worst, dreaded tyoe of MND. If you do a search on Google for motor neuron diseases, you will get more information than you can really absorb. But it will sort out the different types for you. An example: I have PMA, or progressive muscular atropny, the slowest progressing type of MND. I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.

Hi Anna,

Also on the ALS/MMD question, my cousin has PLS - primary lateral sclerosis, one of the MNDs. He says that most of the countries just say MND and do not diferentiate the different kinds, but only one's progression. Take Care, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back