Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chels,
I am not a doctor but if you think you have MMN ask your doctor to try ivig. It appears to be the best remedy available. It only takes a couple days after your infusion to see results. I have had MMN for 6 years. The symptoms are numbness in the hands, weakness in hands, arms and legs. After treatment with ivig I get much of my strength back. Don't go too long without treatment because permanent damage can be done to your nerves which affect your muscles. ivig can address that if taken early on. Best of luck to you.
Bryan

Hi Finallymmn,

Well you are correct - tired is so right there. When I first had symptoms back in Dec 2002 (I was very tired and I had trouble moving my right pinky finger and could not hold a pen long enough to write a personal check without changing the pen position.) I had just completed 30 years of teaching/working with emotionally impaired adolescents. I spent 15 years working in a state hospital and another 15 in a public school. My classroom was on the second floor and my legs were tired and I just felt tired. I was also teaching at a university part time and working on my Ph.D part time. OF COURSE I was tired you say. :) But I had always done such and never felt THAT tired. I thought I finally burned out on the kids

So I began to change jobs (4 new ones - promotions over the next 4 years). Now Zoom to 2006 and I was DX with ALS then later instead MMN. Then I realized how everytime I changed jobs my biggest thought was - a smaller buiding, a smaller parking lot, no stairs. It was not my schedule - it was MMN. I have had treatment - IVIG since 2007. I just had it on Tues of this week. I feel very good. Yesterday I was hyper. In about 2 weeks I will need to slow down a bit and will feel more tired but then with the treatment (every 3 weeks) I will have more energy again.

Keeping as fit as possible is very important. I've lost 25 pounds since last January and exercise 3 to 4 times a week. I really could not do that before IVIG. But even without the exercise and weight loss my tiredness has been a function of MMN. I also have atrophy of some muscles in my right hand and I am permanately disabled but if I had had treatment earlier I might not be. I hope that addresses your concern and that IVIG works well for you. Please keep us posted now that you have found this forum. ps I am also a mom but my husband was the full time home parent. Best Wishes, Peg
Hi,
What brand of ivig do you get? I get Gammunex but and sick with flu like symptoms for 3-5 days after my infusions. Do you get sick? If not do you take anything to help avoid side effects? Take care
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

The first time I recieved IVIG, Jan, 2007, I had flu like symptoms for about 5 days. They gave me some prescriptions that took care of that and since then I have recieved the following pre meds:

Salumedral (sp?) = IV of prednisone, 2 Benadryl, 2 Tylenol, and one compozine. The compozine is a for nausea and headache. It is all wonderful and I have never had a side effect from IVIG since. I am a little hyper from the prednisone and my face is a little red the next day only. These work perfect for me.

I cut and pasted the above paragraph describing the pre meds because I am amazed how many people do not get pre medicated even though it seems most of us get the side effects. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but at any rate I sure hope you can get these and they help. Let us know. Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back