Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Megan, I can't explain what goes through me when I read of a PALS falling. :(

As Nikki says - it's not all that rare for PALS to die from head injuries in a fall, I've personally known it to happen a few times.

As Greg has just said - PALS don't recover well. The muscles are already dying because the nerve supplying them is dying. So if a muscle is injured, it won't repair, or at least won't repair well depending on how much nerve supply is left.

Quality of life is what everyone strives for, and it does mean different things to different people, but I think everyone would agree that PAIN <> quality of life.

So when my Chris fell onto his 'good' shoulder and ruptured the major tendon, his quality of life decreased for the rest of the life he had left. He only gained back a little movement in the arm and use of the hand, but the shoulder froze severely and the pain stayed with him. Because he refused still to walk with any aids or assistance he went on to have another major fall.

What many PALS do not realise is that every little injury hastens progression. Try to think of it from the view of someone who is going to start doing weights at the gym to build up their muscles. They go and do a session, pushing themselves hard. The weights they lift cause micro-tears in their muscles and their body responds by invading the torn area with blood carrying nutrients and proteins and because the muscle is healthy and has a nerve supply, the result is building up more muscle tissue. Remember these are MICRO tears. So they watch their muscles gain in size and definition over a period of time.

Now think of a PALS and what is happening. As one set of muscles waste, the surrounding muscles have to work harder to pick up the load and make that limb work. This is kind of like working out at the gym, and so those surrounding muscles receive micro-tears. But because the nerve supplying them is dying also, they are not able to repair themselves. So on a micro level, as muscles begin dying and the PALS keeps insisting on 'use it or lose it', in fact they are hastening progression by pushing themselves too hard.

Now imagine there is an injury which could be called a MACRO tear, and the progression is sped up exponentially.

We can't stop progression, we can't stop the nerves dying, but we can refuse to help them do their job as fast as possible.

What I've just written all sounds very 'clinical' to me, but I've just had such a big cry writing this as memories of watching the reality of what this meant in my Chris body flooded me.

>What many PALS do not realise is that every little injury hastens progression.

Ditto that!

Megan--If the doc said they want to do a wheelchair eval it is definitely time for one! getting a chair can be a 2-4 month ordeal. once you have it you don't have to use it--it can sit in the corner until the time comes. but oh the troubles if it is not ordered until needed and that 2-4 months feels like an eternity.

we bought a small scooter before my husband would order the PWC, because of his pride. it saved him from falls and getting over tired. the cold and stress would turn my husband into a tin man and once he had the scooter he could get out and about without fear.

I would also say absolutely no way to him buying trike! he will not only endanger his own life but other drivers. And if he had an accident--the other driver could sue you because he knew he had a neuromuscular disease and drove anyway. (Ask Astugi about that) . you family could lose a lot and have to deal with even more stress that is not needed.

Getting a wheelchair has taken longer than I anticipated. I started the process 4 months ago and the wheelchair is not here yet.

When I started the process, I thought I might be jumping the gun a bit. I was wrong. It is schedule to arrive next week, and I will be very, very glad when it gets here.

I encourage you to start the process of getting the wheelchair immediately. Don't wait.

I can still walk a bit, and don't fall if I really pay attention to what I am doing. Yet, I still think I waited too long to start the process of getting a wheelchair.

Steve

Such good advice here! What angle I used was making it about me- and my PALS loved me enough to relieve my mind. Like everyone has said, the wheelchair could take months- and unfortunately progression doesn't always take months! Ours sat in the living room gathering dust for a few weeks before he discovered the advantages- like raising it up to be more eye level with people standing, or being able to sit at the counter. Good luck. Donna

>I can still walk a bit, and don't fall if I really pay attention to what I am doing.

:)

Chris would say the same - he had to pay complete attention to every single detail to be able to walk. All it took was a moment of not doing this and he would be on the ground...

Thank you all for your input, I obviously have a lot to think over. I knew he could injure his ankle or leg or even his wrist or arm, but it never even entered my brain to think a fall could kill him! That's pretty intense. Just when I think I'm getting a slight grip on dealing with this some new catastrophe enters the equation. It really sucks. On a positive note, we are moving forward with the wheelchair evaluation. They will be coming to our home to assess his needs and the space we have to work with. I'm hoping it will be a positive experience for the both of us and can be arranged while our kids are in school. My husband is almost done with his first week on the Deanna Protocol and to be honest, I've seen no improvement and neither has he. I guess we still remain hopeful though, as that seems to be the only "treatment" with this disease. I guess that's it for now....
Megan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back