Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
“Karen” has been my name for almost 60 years. It’s a strong name. I’ve always liked it and felt it suited my personality. Until now.

Now I’m seeing it thrown around on the internet as a meme, pejoratively used to describe middle aged white women with a rude sense of entitlement. For example, the woman who called the cops on the black birdwatcher in Central Park was described as a Karen. Many other examples can be found on the internet.

I can honestly say I have never behaved like these so called Karens. I resent this misuse of a perfectly good name and shudder every time I hear it abused this way. I might just call the cops....

All this and ALS too.

I hear ya.
I always liked my name Katrina.
You can imagine what it is now associated with.

I didn't know of the misuse of Karen, sorry it's so crap.

I am sorry. I do think of you and another Karen I know and realize how unfair. I saw a third Karen post similar on FB and she suggested another woman’s name would be more appropriate. It begins with Iv and ends with ka

I hear you. i have a novel idea, maybe we should just stop stereotyping people based on their age, gender, race, national origin, political affiliation, etc. and respect each other as individuals.

I hear you and I was horrified too, I’m nothing like what they are suggesting but I do go by Kazza more than Karen.

I don't understand how all this started...not too aware of this new fad. How did this happen? What's the connection with white women?

I looked it up and it wasn’t clear.

iv ka. Ivanka? If so, really? I will hold my comments and wait an answer

Hi,
Maybe my answer is out of the target because I m not an english girl (come from Switzerland, speak french but learn english at school).

Here in Switzerland no pejorative conotation with the name Karen.

Karen is also the name of my best friend in my childhood, an amazing lovely girl, all lot of good memories with her. I'm sur you re lovely as she is.

Karen is also a tribe in Burma (where I traveled for my 20s birthday en 2012) they fight against the governnmenr dictatorship and for their indepandance.

Sometimes it's just a question of point of view 🥰

I disagree with the use of the name but I do agree with the intent behind it. They just should have called it like it was intended: Abuse of white privilege. An example is the woman in Central Park who called the cops on a black man who was bird watching simply because he asked her to put her dog back on the leash. Women who are chronic complainers and b...ch and complain about every little thing, especially around people of color.

My good friend here is named Karen. She has a black grandchild. She thought it was funny but wished they had picked a different name. I don't think it is funny at all. Neither the name nor systemic racism.

If I write anything else, it will be political so I won't.

kim t - you really disappointed me with your prior post ref Ivanka. This is a forum for ALS,

Any name would be problematic , but I do agree with calling out someone for using their race as a means of entitlement.

And yes this is a forum for ALS, this off topic section can be for non ALS stuff as long as it meets the terms and conditions of this forum.

anyone else wanna beat me down/back in line? politics has no place here.

First, I never posted ANYTHING about anyone. Go back and read my posts. Moreover, if you aren't interested in a topic, don't read it.

Nobody is beating anyone down. We're all plagued with the same illness. Most sections in this forum are dedicated to ALS but some are not. The rant section is not exclusive to ALS nor should it be. Most of us have things that concern us that have nothing to do with ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back