Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Melrose
I was diagosed with PLS last year but can no longer do simple task without becoming noderate to devere short of breath. What does this mean?

Attachments

• 21961F3B-42D6-4104-A139-6FAC1FFDC8EF_Redacted.png
    21961F3B-42D6-4104-A139-6FAC1FFDC8EF_Redacted.png
    433.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
The chronic cough part has gotten to the point I have a water jug everywhere I sit. The VA has sent me suction but I don't have an issue with oral secretions it's actually getting the secretions up seems to be the issue. They get about halfway, get stuck, then oartly dislodge and come up while the rest drains back down. Only to start all over an hour later. Lungs are pucture perfect. No disease noted on films.

I would ask about a CoughAssist and oscillating therapy vest. There are a couple of different options now. The Vest breaks up the secretions and the CoughAssist basically uses deeper suction to get them up. These are not right for everyone, but may work for you from what you describe.

There aren't any numbers on the report snippet you posted (feel free to add that part, but please redact your name -- I did that for you) , but if you are chronically short of breath, I would also ask about BiPAP.

There is a device that combines suction, BiPAP, and the CoughAssist (but not the vest) that could be worth trying if it turns out the CoughAssist works for you without needing the vest. It is called VOCSN. Don't know if it's available through the VA.

To keep things moving meanwhile, hydration is good as you are doing, but you could also experiment with warm lemonade and the like, to see if one kind of liquid helps get out the gunk better than others.

my PALS cannot coughup his mucous. We use the cough assist and the suction device. The suction has a long wand for a reason. I put it all the way at the back of his throat. It has been the best device to prevent another pneumonia. He does gag, but we also get it up and so he wants to keep doing it that way.

You may need a helper. Someone to do the suction.

Last edited:
I have found the following helpful:
- Guaifenesin, non-extended release. We're able to buy it over the counter at CVS. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about it. Since my spring allergies started, I've gone from once a day to two or three. You can use Robitussin liquid (NOT DM) if liquids go down easier. There is a kind with no added sugar that the pharmacy can order. It's designed for diabetics but anyone can take it.
- Albuterol rescue inhaler
- I have a gadget that measures the relative humidity in the house. We try to keep it between 30 and 40% by using a humidifier and simmering water on the stove in the cold months.

Also consider:
- Someone can cup their hand and hit you firmly in lots of spots on your back a couple time a day to break up the mucous in your lungs. This is what the vest is based on. Funnily enough, I figured this out on my own for one of my children years ago, and now the pulmonologist recommended it for me!
- You can inhale chamomile tea (with a towel over your head). Can calm a cough to help prepare for sleep or for getting back to sleep.
- Alkalol (over the counter) - similar to the Neti pot but not breakable and quite easy to get the hang of. This cleans out the sinuses and also one can gargle with it.
- Maybe Flonase would be helpful.
- If your ears hurt or itch, you can put a couple drops of warmed up oil in them - very soothing. Or you can buy garlic oil for use in ears from a health food store. Our pediatrician recommended this - she said studies supported this.

I was also given a nebulizer, but I don't have the patience for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back