Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Strategy by military branch:

Marine Corps Rules:
1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet * even your friends…
6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL's Rules:
1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
2. Kill every living thing within view.
3. Adjust speedo.
4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Rangers Rules:
1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
3. Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules:
1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
3. Curse bitterly.
4. Curse bitterly.
5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's; it can get you killed.
6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules:
1. Have a cocktail.
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
3. See what's on HBO.
4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
6. Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:
1. Go to Sea.
2. Drink Coffee.
3. Deploy

I sense a bias here...;)

You are correct, Shiftkicker. However. I hold dear those memories of happy hour (we affectionally called it "attitude adjustment hour", those carefree afternoon beer-filled hours of golf on our magnificently maintained Air Base golf courses, and not to mention sharing our excellent chow hall food with those fortunate enough brothers and sisters of other branches of service ! ! All kidding aside, while our guys did some excellent work I truly appreciate those members of the other services who did wonders on the ground at great, great sacrifice.

Frank, how well I know.

US Army Rules

5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's; it can get you killed.

I once said,

"Lieutenant, you're still pissing stateside water. If you're going out on patrol with me...
take that bar off your lapel and hat."

True comment. :)

PS. 3. Curse bitterly.

There is proper etiquette to cursing.... it must be creative with your intention for
another, avoid something being done to yourself by another, it should be grammar
correct, do not use same word more than twice.

Last edited:
That is great. I come from a military family, so have heard similar lists put forward before (though, typically favoring Air Force).

I must point out that you left out rules for the new Space Force. We need some!

Steve

I think we need a thread of "proper etiquette cursing" examples....

Al you are up first!

Gotta love the military humor! Thanks for posting. How many veterans are on the site? I’m a retired Navy Hosptial Corpsman (medic to you non-Navy and Non-Marine Corps folks). Was just diagnosed in March 2020 With bulbar onset ALS and am very fortunate to be in VA care; cannot imagine how anyone navigates ALS on their own.

don't have a handle regarding the number of vets on the forum. however, vets comprise 60% of the ALS "club." we do have a thread on the forum that is helpful regarding the military and VA matters but unfortunately it is lightly used these days. you will be having numerous questions about ALS since you are fairly new to this horrible curse. you will not find a better source for information than the members of the ALS forum. no question is too small or too delicate. just feel free to ask. good luck ! !

I do not believe 60 percent of PALS are vets. Approximately 7-8percent of US population are vets. Vets have twice the risk of the general population. That doesn’t add up Where did you get that number?

the VA said in 2019 the number of vets living the ALS was 4220. The common number used in the US for total ALS cases is 30000 which I actually believe to be low. I also think the VA numbers are probably pretty accurate given the system and the benefits but civilian cases are more likely to be undercounted as it is not a reportable illness in most maybe all states

4220 divided by 30000 is just over 14 percent which is what I would expect

ETA. I believe the 60 percent quote is an erroneous interpretation of an nbs news article which stated vets have a 60 percent higher risk than the general population of ALS. That is not , of course, the same as 60 percent of PALS are vets but someone posted this here years ago

Last edited:
you are absolutely correct. i researched the data relative to als and came up with your referenced info. actually, the als association reports that people with military service are almost twice (not 60%) as likely to contract the disease as those in our non-service population. i don't know where the 60% came from but current research certainly does not support that number. thanks for the correction.

It was an nbc article not a study I saw saying it . I always take news articles with a grain of salt anyway Yes twice the risk is what all the sources seem to say

Found this in ALS News Today: “While those who served in the Persian Gulf War in 1991 have double the risk, according to a report from the Institute of Medicine, those who served in Vietnam, Korea, or World War II also have a higher risk of ALS”. “ According to the ALS Association, the risk is increased regardless of which branch of the military you served in, where you were posted, and even whether you served during war or peace.”

Bill

Regarding the descriptions at the top of this thread, I was waiting for one on the US Coast Guard. That's technically the 5th branch of the military, and the one that I think is most susceptible to these kinds of jokes. I always imagine them out on a cutter, with slick shades on, wind in their hair, maybe a beverage in hand, making sure the party boats don't get too wild.

Anyway, I'm very appreciative and thankful for all our veterans, regardless of their branch of service.

How very LA of you Eric 😀. I picture them winching down from helicopters to save drowning fisher folk! There are actually 8 branches if you count the space force. Also the national oceanic and atmospheric commissioned corps and the better know US Public Health Corps. Granted the last 2 are not military although the latter at least is sometimes called to serve in Navy roles and right now some of its members are performing hazardous duty fighting covid

Do we REALLY need to count the Space Force? Such a joke! 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back