Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
I just got my dangler changed out to a MIC-KEY low profile button. We never had any problem with the dangler getting clogged.

We have used both Nestle Complete Organic formula and Liquid Hope. I realize Liquid Hope is considered a thick formula, but the Complete is actually thicker. We found we had to pour the Complete through a strainer prior to feeding to remove coagulated chicken proteins that would sometimes block the tip of the syringe we use for gravity feeding, but once we did that, it went through fine. Of course we dilute both products with water before pouring them into the tube.

So brand new Mic-Key today. We decide to do the first feeding with Liquid Hope. The tube immediately clogs. We clamp it off, pour out the formula, and pour water into the tube. The water doesn’t flush through. We got through the remInder of the feeding by using the plunger to push formula into the tube.

If the Liquid Hope clogged the tube, I imagine we’ll have the same issue with blended food and with the Complete. Or not?

I’m thinking add more water to the formula, but there’s a limit to how much volume I can handle per feeding. Other suggestions?

do you flush before and after the fees feeding With plunger ?
do other liquids go through easy? I believe you can get larger diameter button according to my doctor.

Is it possible they put in a smaller diameter tube ? Or the extension tube is a smaller diameter? My husband had a 14 Fr and it was impossible to feed him any of the better/thicker formulas. The tubes range in size from 12 Fr to 24 Fr . I get the impression that they need to be in the 18-22 size for the thicker formulas. The size is usually printed on the on the port.

The extension tube is 20 French but the port seems quite a bit smaller. I’m also going to see if warming up the formula helps. We do flush with water, and the water went in fine.

oh what a pain, when the button should make life simpler add complication.
I would try warming (I always warmed it a little anyway with some hot water) and a really vigorous shaking. I always found that you needed to really shake well as the formula does tend to separate and have a sediment (you never really know how long they have been on a shelf for, often months).
You should however be able to gravity with a good shaking, strain if you need and thinning with warm water. You can sit in a dish of hot water to warm it through a little before shaking too. Just be careful not to make it too warm as the oesophagus really does neutralise temperature a lot when swallowing. The stomach doesn't much like anything too hot or cold put in directly.

This morning we tried diluting more, warming the water and thoroughly mixing. It still clogged. We resorted to the slow plunging technique. Darn! It’s going to be a learning process like everything else. When it comes time to change out the Mic-Key, we’ll see if it’s possible to get a larger one, if we don’t do it sooner.

I had a dream last night that various folks from this forum were over looking at my tube and taking it apart to see if they could somehow alter it. Weird.

So weirdly right, I would totally do that for you!!!
The good news is that changing a Mic-Key can be done at home by your CALS if she is happy to learn.
There are some great youtubes home made on how to do it.
Could be worth talking about changing to a higher gauge with your Dr in the meantime - call and tell em the problem as you really want to keep taking in the formulae that are working for you and keep your digestive system going well.

Is the new Mic-Key fitted with an Enfit connector? I have read anecdotal posts elsewhere that the Enfit connectors cause everything to slow by a factor of two or three when feeding.

Is the new Mic-Key fitted with an Enfit connector?
I can’t find anything with that name on it. But the problem does seem to be the relationship between the thickness of the formula and the diameter of the connector.

I would call doctor and explain problem and demand larger diameter. They simple to change out and you deserve it.
I can’t find anything with that name on it. But the problem does seem to be the relationship between the thickness of the formula and the diameter of the connector.

I gave up on liquid hope. Tried all of the above. If you have the means, try Kate Farms peptide1.5. They work with most insurance companies

I've heard Kate Farms is thinner. Also, when you mixed it up, did you use your Vitamix?

It does sound like a larger diameter might help. Especially since everything is flowing from a large tube.

I'm sorry. I was hoping for better results. You've done everything possible to stay ahead of the game. Karen, I would get it changed if you start to lose more weight or experience discomfort.

I have a 14 French and the Kate Farms doesn't clog. It also packs more calories into a smaller serving. I don't have to cut it with water, which is good.

Awesome advice. I think I’ll try out the Kate Farms first. I know I can get the insurance to cover it if it goes down the tube and the others don’t. I like that it’s more calorie-dense. And I can always change out the Mic-Key as well to give myself options. You guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just to give a follow up — I ordered some Kate Farms Peptide Formula 1.5 and got it in time for dinner. It flowed through the Mic-Key like a charm, undiluted, using the gravity method. We didn’t even need to warm it up. Added extra free water at the end. So it worked! Yeah!! Quickest easiest feeding so far.

I plan to speak to my supplier about getting it covered by the insurance and will see about getting a larger connector with next Mic-Key change-out. Meanwhile if we want to give other products via the tube, we’ve had no problems pushing them through with the plunger.

Thanks again everyone for all the extremely helpful suggestions. You guys are the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back