Not open for further replies.

AniSk

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
There was a discussion on a FALS Facebook group regarding genetic testing and using blood draw vs. cheek swab. Many were questioning the reliability of cheek swab to produce accurate results- citing the possibility of false negative. I’m going to be tested soon through research at Columbia and they now are using cheek swab with virtual counseling to lessen the amount of visits. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this method?

I asked this of the mgh als genetic counselor when it first started being offered. As she pointed out dna is dna. Just follow the instructions carefully so you don’t have to repeat it. If you don’t get a proper sample they could tell so it wouldn’t miss anything

I figured that they are a pretty reputable research program and wouldn’t offer it this way if not accurate but still, it was nagging at me. Thanks so much for your input!

Yes when you think about it they use cheek swabs for paternity tests which have to look at a much bigger genetic picture

To follow up, I spoke with the genetic counselor today and asked about cheek swab vs. blood draw. She said that the only drawback from using the swab, could be that they may not get enough DNA to test, however there is quality control done first so they would know before testing. If that were the case, the person would have to redo the sample. She said that this rarely happens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back