Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any menu ideas for holiday meals for people with swallowing trouble?

My Mom has Bulbar ALS and she has trouble with swallowing many foods. I want to be able to have some tasty stuff around the house for her. Does anyone have any good recipes for soups or desserts?

Also just a basic list of grocery staples would be helpful. My mom will probally go to the grocery store when she gets here, but I would like to have some stuff already at the house for her since she will be driving all day.

I was thinking:
Yogurt
Pudding
Fruit Cups

But I was something hearty also.

Hi ... cheesecake goes down real well when you have problems swallowing.

Here's a receipe for a delicious holiday sweet potato soup: I posted this once before. It is so easy to make, and it heats up beautifully.

1 Tblsp. oil
1 med onion, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly diced (about 3 cups)
1/2 teasp nutmeg
1 teasp salt, or to taste
1/4 teasp white pepper

Heat oil in pot, add onions, cook & stir 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Raise heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 30 mionutes.

Remove from heat and puree the soup in batches. To serve, put a dollop of cranberry sauce and sour cream in the bottom of each bowl, and pour hot soup over.

Beth, you are a Grinch. When I read the first post I was going to post a FABULOUS sweet potatoe soup recipe I found on a recipe website a couple of weeks ago. Your recipe exactly. It's so good, we've made it 3 times in 2 weeks. I do think I recall you posting a recipe before but didn't copy. Wish I had. Didn't know what I was missing. By the way Lee says she can't believe how easy it is to make. BTW, yur not really a Grinch. LOL

AL.

Beat ya to it, did I? So glad you love that soup ... my husband and I do, too ... in fact, he actually asks for it. I can't remember who I stole it from originally :)

(I do have my Grinchy moments, but hopefully fewer and fewer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back