AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Menu Ideas for holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinglife

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
GA
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any menu ideas for holiday meals for people with swallowing trouble?

My Mom has Bulbar ALS and she has trouble with swallowing many foods. I want to be able to have some tasty stuff around the house for her. Does anyone have any good recipes for soups or desserts?

Also just a basic list of grocery staples would be helpful. My mom will probally go to the grocery store when she gets here, but I would like to have some stuff already at the house for her since she will be driving all day.

I was thinking:
Yogurt
Pudding
Fruit Cups

But I was something hearty also.

BethU

Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
Hi ... cheesecake goes down real well when you have problems swallowing.

Here's a receipe for a delicious holiday sweet potato soup: I posted this once before. It is so easy to make, and it heats up beautifully.

1 Tblsp. oil
1 med onion, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly diced (about 3 cups)
1/2 teasp nutmeg
1 teasp salt, or to taste
1/4 teasp white pepper

Heat oil in pot, add onions, cook & stir 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Raise heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 30 mionutes.

Remove from heat and puree the soup in batches. To serve, put a dollop of cranberry sauce and sour cream in the bottom of each bowl, and pour hot soup over.

Al

Legendary member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
Beth, you are a Grinch. When I read the first post I was going to post a FABULOUS sweet potatoe soup recipe I found on a recipe website a couple of weeks ago. Your recipe exactly. It's so good, we've made it 3 times in 2 weeks. I do think I recall you posting a recipe before but didn't copy. Wish I had. Didn't know what I was missing. By the way Lee says she can't believe how easy it is to make. BTW, yur not really a Grinch. LOL

AL.

BethU

Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
Beat ya to it, did I? So glad you love that soup ... my husband and I do, too ... in fact, he actually asks for it. I can't remember who I stole it from originally :)

(I do have my Grinchy moments, but hopefully fewer and fewer!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock