Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
St. Paul
I'm slowly going through the things that belonged to my mom who passed away from ALS about three weeks ago. Because I was dressing her every day for nearly a year and a half, I'm feeling particularly attached to some of the things she wore most often. Her clothes don't fit me, but I'm feeling like keeping them none-the-less.

I'm thinking about having a memory quilt made. I can't quilt myself and fear I'd destroy everything and feel worse. But I think it might be a great way to be able to keep part of her close to me. So I wanted to see if anyone else has done this before? I'm going to be speaking with someone from Oregon tomorrow who does this as a business. But I wanted to see if anyone has had good luck using someone to create one of these quilts made with a a loved one's clothing? I'd love a recommendation.

Hi~
I had a friend who's mom passed from cancer. She took a whole bunch of her moms things and had it made into a quilt. I have to tell you it turned out fabulous. I do remember her saying it was expensive but she said that she will have it forever.
I say go for it. You will have it forever
Good Luck
Jeannie

I think it is a great idea. You'll have something of hers to pass down. Who doesn't love a good quilt, especially one that is filled with love! I've done the smaller picture quilts, and I feel they are a great way of preserving the past. You will be able to share a story with each patch. You won't be sorry.

Just ask to see some pictures of some of her work. When you see them, you will know if you want her to make your quilt. :)

Good luck, I hope you find someone to do this for you.
God Bless!

After quite a bit of searching, I've found a couple of women in rural Oregon who will be making the memory quilt with my mom's favorite clothes. I'm putting things in the mail today. She'll be sending updates of the quilt piecing so I can let her know what I think, but was very helpful helping me choose what sort of style I was looking for.

I'll keep folks posted!

Thank you so much for such a great idea. I would never have thought of this myself. I will keep this in mind for the future.

memory quilts

Hello,
I saw your posting for a quilt out of your mom's clothes. I recently made 5 quilts for a woman and 4 of her siblings. They lost both of their parents within 3 months. The children went through the clothes and picked out which ones to use. They chose camel hair coats, plaid wool slacks and skirts and other special clothes that would coordinate. A friend of mine had recommended me for the job and I have to admit I am very thankful for the friendship it created with the woman I sewed for. It was a very emotional time when I delivered them to her home. She then gave them to her siblings in other states and they were so pleased. It meant so much to me to be part of this special project. If anything changes and you need someone to help, please place a posting here. I am not sure if I can leave my e-mail. Let me know and I can send a picture of the quilts I made.

I would really love to see pics of the quilts you made and get your email. I think this is a wonderful idea. How long does it take to complete a project like this?

memory quilts

Hi there,
Please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you pictures. I could make one in about a week depending on the pattern and how busy I am.
Thanks - Marybeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back