• Memoriam wall
    • We've created a memoriam wall to remember our friends
    • If you know someone that battled ALS, please add them here

Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting things happen just before a person passes. I had an aunt who suffered from early onset Alzheimer's and wasted away in another state half-way across the country. When my own Mom was DX'd with dementia she forgot about Auntie and never mentioned her name again until one afternoon she pointed to the ceiling and said, "Edith." The next day the family called with the news that Aunt Edith had died. Something made me ask what time and we figured it was right when Mom was calling her name.

Gives me goosebumps. When my Grandmother was dying she started talking to her dead Mother, teling her she'll 'be there' soon, and when her husband died a year later, he was talking to her, telling my Father that' Your mother is calling me'. Weird huh?

Dear John, My father had a similar reaction the evening he was last consciously with us. He was in the hospital, removed from the ventilator a few hours before. He knew his options and had chosen to allow nature to take it's course, though it was certain to mean he only had a little while left until his breathing diminished to a critical point. After spending some good quality time speaking with the family, he became more tired and slept. Then he woke up and seemed to have forgotten that he was dying and that he was attached to the catheter and a few other things. He insisted vehemently that he needed his walker, and that he must keep his physical activities up or he would lose them. We were able to calm him down, but he fell back on the bed as though defeated. This happened several times. How I wished I had been able to bring the walker to him, but someone had taken it out of my car when they brought my brother from the airport. We were concerned he might get hurt if we were to try to walk him around the hospital room. The nurse really didn't want us to try it, even if we had the walker. It was one of those moments in my life that I have felt absolutely uncertain of what to do, what the right thing is. For a long time I felt terrible that I was unable to honor my father's last request, and even yet it hurts. I did talk with a counselor, who told us that he probably was not fully rational at that point as his brain was not cleared of the CO2, and it was his strong will to live and desire to be with us coming out in the only way he could express it. Holly

I love to hear about end of life events like those mentioned above. I know we have to have to trust and have faith, but somehow these events reassure me about the afterlife. Death is the great unknown, and seems scary, but knowing that someone that my mother loves is there to help her with the transition just makes me feel happy. My mother was unable to speak, but the morning before she passed, she had her eyes wide open and was staring at the ceiling and motioning, as well as looking at each one of us. I truly hope and trust my father was there to help her cross in to heaven.

We were at my mother's bedside as she was passing. Prior to her crossing over to heaven my mom looked very haggered and tired. Her eyes were little slits and her breathing became shallow. Suddenly her eyes started to slowly open fully and they were glowing. Her face was full like it had been prior to her getting this horrible disease. She was looking calmly straight into my brothers face. This lasted about 20 seconds and then slowly the eyes began to slowly shut and the fullness in her face left her and the lines on the moniters were flat. This was something I had never witnessed before, nor would I have believed it had someone told me this. It was absolutely amazing. I believe that my mom now in heaven looks like she did prior to getting this terrible disease. Anne

Generosity

I didn't realise I had so many kind and generous friends. So far nearly £1,000.00 has been raised in my wife's memory in aid of the Motor Neurone Association's research into this dreadful disease, and I believe there is more to come. I cannot begin to thank all those who donated.

Nice to hear of the generous donations in memory of your wife. In response to some of the other posts it seems at the very end there is one last fight. When my mom died from cancer she had been sedated and not coherant for three days then the day she passed she was tring to get out of bed, requesting sugar water and meal replacement drinks and was drinking them even though for the week prior she was only having sips of water the nurse in pallitive care said this often happens at the end, people try to fight it one last time.

Hi anne, I cannot believe I missed your post, maybe I did read it then, and went on to the next one, and forgot to reply. Well, I am replying now, gosh almost a month later. Jeez, wouldn't it be something if I did reply, and forgot that I did? LOL! That happens to me a lot!

Okay, your post is super. Loved it. I'd like to share with you that like your mom, my son, he too, had a beautiful, peaceful look about him when he passed. We no longer saw pain in his face, totally different. Seeing is believing, and I believe you. God bless you!

Irma

Irma....That peacefull look is the only thing that I can think about that makes me believe that she is free of this disease. Anne

Anne, you are so right! Free of this disease, and forever and ever with Jesus!

Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back