Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Eastpointe
How do we get through the memorial service and grieving process for my brother when his 18 year old daughter and his wife don't even want to hear the term ALS?

Just my opinion but I would remember him the way he was before this nasty disease. It has taken enough from your family. I understand their wishes. He is flying free. What matters now is family unity and support.

We shared our favorite memories of steve. Some were touching, others funny. We walked away learning something we didnt know and celebrating his life not mourning. We played the Beach Boys since he loved them so...

I understand their feelings completely. My husband was diagnosed just three and a half weeks ago, and already I have thought about how I never want his memory to be defined by ALS. He had 66 years of life before he ever heard that diagnosis.

Celebrate his life.

Sherry,
Very sorry for your loss. As everyone has said, I'm sure there is everything else in his life to celebrate.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you everyone for your input.

As my husband Chris had run cafe's all his life, I developed a menu of the dishes he was most famous for. This went out with the invites. Everyone had to choose something from the menu and make it themselves. This gave them some quiet time in their own home to remember some great memories of Chris as they cooked.

Then they brought it to the memorial and after the service we shared the meal.

It was beautiful, and there was so much talk of Chris and food memories and of course comparisons on the dishes and how much better he would have made them.

It really brought the memorial to be a time to remember the man he was, not the disease that took him.

What a lovely idea Tillie!

Wow, Tillie! That's an awesome idea!

at my husband's service, we all talked about the man he was before ALS mostly. but all of us (me and the kids) did talk about how strong he was after his diagnosis and how brave he was and the lessons we learned from his suffering and humility. we didn't make it the focus--but ALS was the reason he died, so it deserved a mention. (and a kick in the teeth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back