Melatonin delays ALS onset and death in mice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ALS research community should stop grabbing the ALS mouse model "donut".

Animal testing for ALS drugs is a compete waste of time.
It has been shown over and over again that drugs that prolong lives of the..."ALS mouse" do not necessarily prolong lives of humans (PALS).
Why the ALS research community continues to follow this failed methodology is beyond me; and it would be funny if PALS weren't dropping like flies watching this process over and over as if it were an episode of the Simpsons where Homer demonstrates his immunity to even basic Pavlovian conditioning, grab donut get electric shock, grab donut get electric shock, grab donut get electric shock, etc...

Oh, well...

NH

Thanks so much for that link i will go to it now - YOU R A GEM, i have been taking melatonin at night for sometime -so i am very interested in what they have to say.. I think general health benefits outway any possible side affects - and even if it doesnt make a massive difference longerterm with degenartion - i certainly feel better for taking it.. :)

I looked up the abstract of the original paper. ScienceDirect.com - Neurobiology of Disease - Melatonin inhibits the caspase-1/cytochrome c/caspase-3 cell death pathway, inhibits MT1 receptor loss and delays disease progression in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
In case anyone was thinking of self-medicating with over the counter melatonin, the dosages in the mice trial were hugely higher than those recommended for sleep regulation. The latter recommends 3 mg. The study used 30 mg/kg. A 150 lb person (approximately 68 kg) would need 30*68=2040 mg of melatonin. An astoundingly high amount. You would have to eat 680 3-mg pills a day. Moreover the mice were injected with melatonin, they did not take it orally.

Maybe it is also worth mentioning that melatonin had been linked to some serious adverse events such as hypertension, the release of stress hormones, inflammation, and higher mortality in animals. It seems that, in general, its temporary use might be more appropriate over long term intake.

Multiply rat/mouse dose by .16 to obtain approximate human equivalent dose

cypress, why is it that. I mean this factor by 0.16 to get the human appropiate dose? Just being courious!
all best, D.

cypress, why is it that. I mean this factor by 0.16 to get the human appropiate dose? Just being courious!
all best, D.

A conversion factor, perhaps?

Yes, the .16 is a commonly accepted conversion factor to get human dose equivalent from rat/mouse doses.

Years ago when I was running Virginia biotechnology Association had a melatonin researcher Richmond. Constant state that laboratory quality melatonin versus what was available commercially to vastly different products. He was using a product that was USP approved they don't know that we can find that.
I do agree that continued use of that mouse model which is produced faulty so many trials as to be re-examined as a methodology.
Hollister

I didn't know until today, this drug was widely available and could be ordered online either as tablets or capsules.

NH

Well, ordered it today as 5mg "fast dissolve" tablets. It should be ground shipped with a tentative delivery date, Wednesday, May 15.
I will try it as soon as I get it and will report back afterwards.

By the way, in their latest magazine, M.D.A. endorses this molecule, saying that it indeed delays the symptoms onset in MND. I shall see if that claim holds true.

NH

I've been taking the 5mg for awhile now, nothing of note pro or con so far

I've been taking the 5mg for awhile now, nothing of note pro or con so far

May I ask for how long have you been taking it? A month, two months, etc.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back