Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

Has anyone had experience using the health food medication Melatonin to help with sleeplessness?

Drs seem somewhat reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills for ALS patients due to the negative effect on the respiratory system.

My husband,Vic has very poor nights, waking at least every hour with hip pain, bad dreams, inability to turn etc. He is exhausted during the day.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any suggestions on this.

Blessings,
Jessie

My husband (ALS) has not used the Melatonin as sleep aid; however, my daughter and I have both used Melatonin for sleep. Get the time release formula that way he doesn't wake up at 2 or 3 am unable to sleep when the Melatonin has gotten out of his system. Also, GABA and L-Tryptopan help with sleep as does Vitamin B6.

Your husband's problem may be due to a lack of oxygen. ALS patients have trouble with breathing and poor sleep or headaches on awakening can be a sign of this. Possibly oxygen at night may help. Ask his doctor to write a prescription if you want to try this. Insurance should pay.

Many blessings.

Usually oxygen is not given to ALS patients. He may just need more air. A sleep study would show if his CO2 levels are elevated during sleep and he may need a Bipap to force more air into his lungs if the muscles have become weakened. An arterial blood gas test would show oxygen and carbon dioxide levels as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back