Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IN
City
Indianapolis
Has anyone here used the drug "Cymbalta"? It is an antidepressant, also used to treat chronic neuropathic pain. I've heard most people refer to Elavil (Amitriptyline) so I was a little surprized when mom's doctor prescribed Cymbalta, although after researching Cymbalta, it sounds like a good choice. It's a fairly new drug - approved in August 2004. Thanks

I just got a prescription for Cymbalta for the pain from muscle spasms/cramps. My doc told me it works on the pain sensors in the brain. I haven't started it yet because I am soooo sensitive to drugs, I am a little scared of fast heart rate, speediness. The doc told me to try Cymbalta over amitriptyline because it won't cause as much tiredness or fatigue (something I complain about). Has your mom tried it yet? I also read that sometimes the docs can use Cymbalta during the day and amitriptyline (Elavil) at night to work against eachother. Hope it works for her. Leslie

Hi Leslie My mother just started Cymbalta yesterday. It takes 4-6 weeks before the drug reaches its full potential, so no way of knowing if it really is helping for a while. The one thing I noticed when researching Cymbalta is that it has not been fully studied for long term use, and that if using long term (which my mother will be) the physician needs to evaluate it's usefullness. It does seem to have some benefits, namely milder side effects. Always averages, though - everyone is unique. I think Amitriptyline has higher cardiac side effects so Cymbalta may be a better choice for you. Let me know how well it is working for you.

Cymbalta

Ihave taken Cymbalta for the pain it worked for a while with me. I have not taken Cymbalta in two weeks. Yes the pain is worse. Other symptoms have decreased for example cramps are not as frequent, since I am not taking Cymbalta. Still have the cramps not as frequent joint and stiffness are worse not taking Cymbalta. The Cramps really hurt can not decide if the joint pain and stiffness are a good trade off at this point. Good Luck, Jim

Hi Jim Thank you for sharing with me. Why did you stop taking Cymbalta? Do you feel Cymbalta increased your muscle cramps? Have you started taking a different anitdepressant? It seems to be different medications work better for different people. I am hoping Cymbalta will even Mom's mood ( she will start crying and isn't able to tell us why) as well as a side effect of easing pain, which she seems to be having. Keep me informed of how you are doing.

Hi midwestgirl. Your mom could be having what is called emotional lability which is common with bulbar symptoms. People with it will laugh or cry for no apparent reason. I have read that there is a med they use for it but the name escapes me right now. I'm sure the Neuro should know which one it is.
AL.

Midwest girl, I took myself off cymbalta with a talk with my nuero. Stiffness is worse cramps are not as frequent. not taking any antidepressants at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back