Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
Roughness and small scab on behind. I assume that this is because I sit 16 to 20 hours a day.. Any suggestions for a medication that might help?

Firstly you must change position often as no medication will work without pressure care.

Do you sit on a ROHO? These are really great for preventing pressure build up, but still don't replace respositioning.

Gentle massaging around the area as well as directly over the area with your choice of creams made for pressure care or even coconut oil is great. There are honey dressings that can be used to apply if the skin is broken until this heals.

It may take some experimentation to see what works best. Some of the options are:

grapeseed oil ointment
A & D ointment
cornstarch
wound honey

Keep area clean and dry, get enough nutrition and hydrate.

Make sure your seat cushion/mattress overlay are relieving pressure, and lean forward (or have someone help you) periodically and well, get a massage for the microcirculation...

I swear by unrefined coconut oil. I’d tried all the others on Brian, but Coconut oil worked the best for us by far. Just my 2 cents

The number one treatment however is to be shifting position every couple of hours and having the area around the scab massaged - your wife can google how to correctly do this pressure area care.

You have to think of this as a threatening pressure ulcer, rather than a skin issue. These can become very painful and a real game changer. Please let us know how you go.

My fave is Bag Balm. It was originally made for chapped udders, it moisturizes and has a mild antiseptic so sores can heal and not become an abcess. You can get it at walmart or farm supply stores. It sounds weird but it works!
Vincent

yeah we have a product here brand name moo goo - started from recipes used for treating udders, no milk in the products as many people think by the name :lol:

lots of PALS here use it for fungal and skin issues of all kinds and it's brilliant so I reckon you are on the right thing there Vincent!

Nutrition can also contribute to skin breakdown. Once we started fighting pressure sores adding a protein supplement helped. If you are consuming a good diet, tuck this away for future reference.

great point Becky! hydration too -you will be more prone to pressure and skin breakdown if dehydrated even moderately.

I agree with the good nutrition and hydration. I always made sure Brian got plenty of both through his feeing tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back