Diagnosis
06/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Lakeway
My wife is 52, and was recently diagnosed with ALS.

She hasn't worked since 2000, when she stopped to be come a full time mother.

She does have enough work credits to be eligible for disability, since she hasn't worked in the last 10 years. But she does have a work record that goes back to 1980 and is eligible for retirement benefits.

I thought she would be eligible for Medicare now, because of the special treatment they give ALS. But according to the person I just talked to on the phone, this is not true. Since she isn't eligible for disability, she can't get Medicare early.

For what it's worth, we have owned our own business since 2014, and she has been an active participant in it. Although not an employee, no salary, and no deductions made.

So did I get the correct information? Is Medicare not an option for her until she is 65?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions...

Correct unfortunately. Same thing happened to my sister. Sorry.

My wife is in the same boat as well, but she doesn't have als, it's sucky indeed. Some one works and contributes but sees no benefit because of the ten year rule. Makes no sense at all.

That just ain't right. At what point did some politician say "we won't cover disabled people...<insert ANY excuse here>.

how many years is it? I had heard that you have to work within the last so many years but I didn't know how many it was.

you need 20 work quarter credits in the last ten years. So five out of the last 10 years

so a cals can only quit working to take care of us for five years before their disability is in jeopardy. Great! Just great.

What sucks is there's no way to catch up. Let's say you took off 5 years and 1 quarter. You now have 19 work credits. You can go back to work but for every credit you earn, a credit rolls off. You would literally have to work for 5 years before you would be eligible for disability again. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Rob

What sucks is there's no way to catch up. Let's say you took off 5 years and 1 quarter. You now have 19 work credits. You can go back to work but for every credit you earn, a credit rolls off. You would literally have to work for 5 years before you would be eligible for disability again. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Rob

Yup, Rob is correct. When I applied 2 years ago, I hadn't worked for 5 years and got declined. I appealed and got denied again. I was 60 years old when I applied, and am now on SS.

A lot of people suggested that I get a lawyer that specialized in disability. At the time I was convinced it could not be reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back