Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with medical marijuana for ALS patients? I have done a lot of research and it appears to have some great benefits.

In my mind. the main issue with the using of marijuana, medical or otherwise is how you will react to it while taking the various other presription drugs you may be on. If you smoke it already recreationally I am sure you will have a different result than they who do not imbibe.

Check on ALS untangled the have a very good explanation of why and what works.

Significant advances have increased our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), yet this has not translated into any greatly effective therapies. It appears that a number of abnormal physiological processes occur simultaneously in this devastating disease.

I use the non medical type - and it helps me with the cramps/spasms/charlie horses. It's fast acting and relief is almost immediate.
Had not tried it since the 70's- so not regular user to be sure.

Hay Ottawa Girl- this is a Toronto Gal- Hi I'm Karin. The problem with smoking marijuana is that if you are having breathing problems smoking anything will make it worse. With ALS as the lungs weaken your oxygen low decreases and one retains carbon doxide which causes headaches, dizziness and with the benefits of weed decreases your stability and can cause some serious falls. If anyone is going to do marijuana than it should be eaten as opposed to smoking- that is if you want to live longer. It's not much fun when you can no longer breath comfortably. An oxygen blood level that is 90% and lower is considered severe. Smoking anything chews up all those healthy red blood cells that carry oxygen from our lungs to all our body parts. They also enables us to breath deeply so we can breath out all that nasty carbon dioxide that if allowed to sits at the bottom of our lungs causing infections and pnemonia. So please be kind to your lungs and eat the weed rather than smoke it. Although it's not as fast eating it does help with pain, increases appitite and aids with nausea. So think twice about what you're doing and be aware thus making some common sense decisions about how you want to live the rest of your life. Hope that helps anyone who was confused about weed. Karin

So, I tried smoking some, I couldn't make the lighter work.
I asked my wife to light it for me. She lit it, but everytime I tried to get a haul, it went out. This happened over and over.
I got nothing, and my wife got stoned. She laughed all silly like, my emotional liability kicked in, and we ended up laughing for a while then split the leftover Halloween candy.
Life doesn't get any better than that!
Cheers,
Casey

There are other ways of ingesting other than via smoking. We made my dad brownies for nausea and appetite when he had cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back