Medical Marijuana for ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think its the umn part of als/spasms that causes pain as it does in pls,if a pal has alot of umn involvement that equals pain and those with not much umn involvement dont have pain.............just my simple observation.

I agree Olly. My husband is UMN dominant and he is in pain 24/7.

Byatt
My pain is not constant, but some days my back and neck will just ache and ache. Throbbing sometimes. Advil helps sometimes, sometimes not.
I will also get painful cramps in my left hand and on the tops of my thighs and shins.
Now, I am still ambulatory (using a walker, cart, or person for stability and balance. I know that I probably do too much for my muscles to handle, so that might even make it worse.

I know what you're saying about the street stuff, that's why I didn't want to go that way, but that previous post about getting stiffed had me miffed. Still don't know what to do.

I have bulbar als, so I do get pain in my neck. It may be more weakness in my holding my neck up. Massages are bliss.

I use Medi Marij for appetite stimulant and nausea. I can still swallow and eat whatever I want. It does take me longer to chew. I simply have no appetite. I've lost a 80 lbs since my diagnosis. The Medi Marij works great. Plus it really slows down my fasciculations.

Initially I was given a anti-nausea pill used for cancer patients. I've never had constipation issues in my life. I ended up going to the ER for bathroom problems. I will not use that medication again.

Check out ALS Untangled's report # 16 on cannibis use in ALS.

when i smoke pot now, it makes my symptoms worse. after 4+ years, i havent had an official diagnosis. pma, hirayama(?) have been suggested. i'm on my 4th neurologist. began in left hand...noticed how difficult it was to press on front door latch/handle. about a month ago, i noticed it in my right hand now. more willing to appreciate what i still CAN do than complaining what i can't do.

I know I started this thread talking about medical marijuana (which has turned out to be a dead end), but it somehow morphed into pain management. I have been taking Oxycodone for my back pain and I've observed something interesting; I don't have any cramping when I take the Oxy. I can bend my wrist, reach my back, without incident. Both of these would result in extreme cramping without Oxy. I'm in no way saying we should all take pain meds to ease cramping, just making an observation.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Bob

That is very interesting Bob.
I wonder if others who take pain meds have noticed similar effects ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back