Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Out of desperation, I ordered this product from New Zealand back in November when I could hardly move. It came last week.

When I took it out of the box, it smelled like cooked lamb. It honestly made me sick to my stomach. I also bought the special wash for it because it was so expensive. I bought the twin size so I could use it once I got my hospital bed and maybe even in the lift chair but my intention was to put it on my queen bed under the sheet for some comfy padding.

Has anyone had this product and, if so, how did you get the smell out. I had to put it in a plastic container and seal it up.

The laundry instructions is to wash it with the special soap and air dry it but not in the sun.

I'd try cleaning it as directed and air dry it in the garage or somewhere you don't go a lot. We had some and I don't remember any smell, and I do have allergies. So maybe that's what I did and then forgot. I have a vague memory of soaking it in the washer with cleaning solution & water -- is that what it says to do?

Is it the green one?

I never noticed any real smell either, particularly not that I would call cooked lamb.

I would wash well and air dry and see how that goes.

They are wonderful products, though of course mine is Australian not NZ, maybe they have all the smelly sheep ;)

hahaha, Tillie.

Thanks, L & T. I'll try washing it. I don't have a garage here but do have two patios. I'll try drying it out there. I did get more memory foam and that seems to help.

Maybe I should have bought the cheaper one without the real lamb skin. I admit it is very plush and soft but it smelled up my bedroom quickly. I am super sensitive to smells and have a nose like a dog. I should have let Ace smell it. If he tried to eat it, I'd know I wasn't crazy.

Ha ha Tillie, I agree as an Aussie lamb producer, you should've bought an Aussie one mate!
Try Eucalyptus wool wash. This should be available in your supermarket. It leaves a better aroma!
Just like Tillies gum trees on a hot day!

I'm chemically sensitive and any fragrance, whether natural or synthetic, bothers me.

I ordered a sheepskin a few weeks ago. It arrived but I didn't notice any smell. I, too, have real problems with odors, so Larry washed it just to make sure. I used it for a week, but it didn't help my butt. Our dogs thought it was a treat and started chewing it, so we had to keep them away from it. Ended up ordering an alternating pressure cushion and it is working out better for me.

Bill

Same as Bill, but I use mine daily.
No odor! (well, it sits under my butt 16 hours a day, so ....)

When you said medical grade I asked if it's the green one as in Australia the medical grade ones are dyed green to differentiate them.

The bit about ours not smelling was a joke of course, not the green bit.

Please educate me re:sheepskin ?

Bruce

We have a green one from Austrailia and it has no smell at all. I think I'd contact the company about the smell.

Chief, Sheepskin (with all the hair) is often used to prevent bed sores, increase comfort, etc. Medical grade can be washed--something that is important once spills and accidents happen. Google medical grade sheepskin and you'll see companies that provide them.

Becky

I don't think it's green, Tillie. I paid over $500 for it and it has elastic on the bottom to fit a twin bed. I thought I would just lay it on top of my queen bed until I got a hospital bed. It was rated highly and I looked around a lot. It did feel extra comfortable and, if it were not for the smell, I'd be adding it to my bed. I haven't had time to wash it. I'm so glad I didn't order a queen size.

You would know if it was green.

I have a regular grade one on my bed and it has no smell.

The medical grade one I had for Chris is very different, and when I was nursing we used them a lot for people at threat of bed sores and they were always green and I never knew one that smelled.

I also used them for all my children, they were not medical grade but a high grade for newborns and no smell.

I think something is wrong if there is strong smell. Does your housemate smell it?

I don't know if he smells it but just putting it on my bed left a "lamb" smell. It doesn't smell rotten, just liked cooked lamb. I know I should air it out.

To make matters worse, I fried bacon today. I hadn't eaten bacon in 20 years but it's on the paleo diet so I gave it a go. It was way too rich for my stomach and the thought of taking that thing out of the container makes me want to puke.

In all fairness, I can smell things a mile away. I had to separate the smokers' papers from the non-smokers' papers at school and grade the smokers' outside. Cigarette smoke gives me migraines as does perfume.

I like lamb but I'll never be able to eat it again after smelling that New Zealand NONREFUNDABLE rag LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back