Maybe the Marijuana Myth... JAMA and University of Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing how an initially good post with interesting research can go sideways.

Al from your post above you said “Couldn’t get away from the location fast enough.” Yet in a fun conversation we had back in 2020 about both of us living along the FL west Coast beach towns, you said “ All the little beach bars all the way down to St..Pete Beach. I was involved with one of those bars. It was fun and the greatest times of my life.”

My response and a couple of others focused on the fact that placebo effect or not, if someone feels it helps them than it does. This from Harvard Health:

“The placebo effect is more than positive thinking — believing a treatment or procedure will work. It's about creating a stronger connection between the brain and body and how they work together," says Professor Ted Kaptchuk of Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, whose research focuses on the placebo effect.

Placebos won't lower your cholesterol or shrink a tumor. Instead, placebos work on symptoms modulated by the brain, like the perception of pain. "Placebos may make you feel better, but they will not cure you," says Kaptchuk. "They have been shown to be most effective for conditions like pain management, stress-related insomnia, and cancer treatment side effects like fatigue and nausea."

Last edited:
Kevin, yes the bar was fun but i had to let it go, the police getting down about people smoking pot
in the parking lot and behind the building, wanting the staff to do something about it. No, the bar
maid was not going to leave from behind the bar to go out and police the situation.
The other part was constantly repairing the rest rooms. I've never understood why someone
would want to tear up a rest room. It was very close to the beach and crazy crap went down
out there too I guess. Then the police warning me about sports parlays and peddling parlays.
Yes it was fun but when your wife grows to hate the place... it had to go.

Ok, let's get back to the origin of this thread.

I understand. I loved my time in Sarasota but had to leave, otherwise I would have partied myself to death at a very early age.

The cops should have been more concerned with the regular bar flies who were driving and drinking. Alcohol is the #1 cause of preventable deaths in this country.

Back to placebo.

Wasn't one of you going to write a book about all your adventures in that beach town back in the day? I'm still waiting for that so I can read it. I should've wasted some time like you guys did - instead I was very serious and goal-oriented and went right into law school and then started my career. Oh well, I'll take the more fun approach in my next life. . .

Kim, MADD didn't really have any influence until the late 80s. Yes, it was a good thing for the years
to come... but still a problem to this day. But, driving stoned and on the phone to me is just as
dangerous.

Eric, funny you said about writing a book... that's all I'll comment for now.

Back in the 60s, 70s and early 80s it was fun living along the West Coast of Florida. Gulf Blvd from
Clearwater down to St. Pete were beach cottages, shops and beach bars. Most of all that is gone
now. Now it's a concrete canyon of condos, professional buildings, million dollar homes, free
parking on the west side of Gulf Blvd (shore line) is a rare find. In between all those buildings
are parking lots where those mentioned above used to be. There used to be 5 fishing piers, now
maybe two. I had a boat (of course) but still would fish off Big Indian Rocks Fishing Pier occasionally.
Good people on a pier, tourists without a clue of what they caught, afraid to hold the whatever to
get the hook out, fish that can hurt you. It was fun helping them and tell them what was good fish
to keep or sell or give to another regular after pictures with an Instamatic camera or Polaroid.
(Remember them?)

I was still able to work full time leading to a career, the bar was a side venture, good people ran it
with me. There's an old rule about owning a bar... "Don't become your own best customer."

Ok, back to the placebo theme of this thread. Maybe. :)

Last edited:
Eric, I think your present life is pretty fun. Keep at it.

Al, I don't know if you are "an old man set in his ways" but I don't doubt that you've seen bad stuff result from using or dealing MJ (or booze, cigarettes, or other drugs for that matter). I would think it less risky for someone using MMJ from a dispensary for ALS.

As for the placebo effect, that is real although the article you quoted put it at 67%, which seems high. I had heard it could be around 30% but different study methodologies could yield different results. There may be other benefits than pain relief. Each person has to decide for themselves whether or not they think it helps.

Regards,

Wmilo, as you wrote... "Each person has to decide for themselves whether or not they think it helps."

(....they think it helps.)

To me, that's what the studies overall suggested... to a degree the placebo effect? Back and forth.

" I would think it less risky for someone using MMJ from a dispensary for ALS. "

I agree, at least it is controlled and pure. There was marijuana out there that was called "Odee"...
it was MJ with hashish mixed in. Who knows what these illegal operations are putting in their pot.

Don't mean to wear this out...I 'll say this from an old man set in his ways but grown maybe a little
wiser against the legalized recreational pot movement. Parents stoned raising children and drivers
stoned on the phone... on the road with me. Also... driving drunk. The same?

Whatever... :)

"MJ with hashish mixed in."

Doesn't sound too bad. :unsure:

My husband doesn't experience pain relief from his use of various forms of marijuana, but he gets significant (and visible) relief from fasciculations, and it helps him sleep through the night. We've been very grateful it's legal in California. I don't see a lot of catastrophes playing out due to legalization.

Now yall got me thinking about the good and nit so good ole days, and also wondering if MM will help Tom with twitching throughout the twilight hours. I just gave him melatonin, zanax, magnesium, advil to get through the night. I have been waiting weeks for a clinic response, suggestion, either rx or otc.

It’s legal where we live and my PALS says he sleeps better after he takes it. He never tried it prior to being diagnosed with ALS, but he read an article and thought it might be helpful to try. He gets some little edible mints that dissolve.

Charlotte's Web CBD oil helps me with sleep. It relaxes me. I'm aware if I don't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back