Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
CA
City
palmdale
My 17th birthday's Wednesday and let's just say it has to be the worst to come. Two months ago, my mom was diagnosed with ALS. I sit here and think about the times I used to think life was hard, how stupid I was....This has completely changed my life and although I grew up as a "tough girl," I must say this has proved me wrong. I miss the days where I'd go out and see her driving up the porch to pick me up..now that she doesn't drive I miss cruising the streets of my city bumping our music joking around and running errands. If I ever knew someone that was a genuinely good person, it'd be her. I don't just say this because she's my mom but because she's ALWAYS helped others and been the best she could be. She's my best friend in this whole world and growing up I messed around a lot, but my mom never ever lost hope and when i needed her most she was there to lead the way. I'm so thankful for her to be a part of my life. A few weeks ago, I went and got her name tattooed across my two wrists so every time I look down I'm reminded of the beautiful woman that gave me life. Watching this happen ruins my day Daily! BUT ONE THING I KNOW IS THAT MY FAMILY AND I ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TAKING CARE OF HER LIKE SHE TOOK CARE OF US WHEN WE WERE BABIES, ITS OUR TURN <3

Dear Lost,

First I would like to wish you a happy birthday. Next I would like to welcome you to the family nobody wants to belong to. I'm sorry we had to meet here. This is a great group of people and feel free to ask us anything. And if possible see if your mom would like to join. I look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. Your mom did a wonderful job in rearing you. And I'm thankful you will be there for her.

Lost One, you are a wonderful daughter to now think of her and her needs above your own. Also Welcome to the family. We will journey this road together with love respect and support. We are in this together, This is a wonderful group of people from around the globe sharing their knowledge, hope, love with each other, even tough love sometimes. But Love. {{HUG}}Happy Birthday!

Lost One- I agree with the others. Glad youve found us. So sorry about your Mom. This will be the fight of her life.... and it sounds like shes got an awesome daughter to help her through it. Your Mom will become your true hero and it is truly amazing to be able to spend everyday with your hero.
Again, Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to. We are family here.

BUT ONE THING I KNOW IS THAT MY FAMILY AND I ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TAKING CARE OF HER LIKE SHE TOOK CARE OF US WHEN WE WERE BABIES, ITS OUR TURN <3

My mother always used to try and pay me for any little job I ever did for her. I always used to refuse saying that she brought me up from a baby, with no charge or cost to me

God bless you and your family

Lost One,
I hope my 16 year old son feels as you do.

As a parent in a similar situation as your Mom, I'm sure she is proud of the mature way you are handling this.
You seem like a good kid, I'd be proud if you were my daughter.

Hang in there,
Casey

I wish you much happiness in your future. Blessed birthday. I'm so sorry you and your Mom and family have to go through this. Life is interesting. Sometimes painful and always interesting. You're a good kid. Love to you and yours.

Very sorry for you Mom's diagnosis. Being there for your Mom and supporting her is absolutely the best way to repay her. Be sure to not only support her not only how you know best but ask her what her needs are as well.

Your Mom is a lucky lady to have such a kind, smart, loving and responsible daughter.

I hope you take the time on Wednesday to celebrate you and your 17th birthday!

I'm so sorry about your mum's diagnosis, Lost One. It is going to be hard but you all must live and create as many wonderful memories as possible. Enjoy each other - be happy, be sad, laugh and cry. But live and embrace each minute you all are together. You sound like an amazing young lady. Have a good birthday this Wednesday, for you and for your mum. Take care. Yasmin.

Happy Birthday Lost one. Welcome. Know that you will never regret what you are doing for your mom. She is lucky to have you.

Happy Birthday Lost One.......
I'm sorry that you are here with the rest of us dealing with such a horrible disease. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Keep your chin up, your Mom needs to be positively uplifted, and who better than to help her than her wonderful daughter!

Good luck.

Lost One,

Your mom brought you up to be a fine daughter and I am sure you are making her proud. You are facing a roller coaster of a future and please seek us out for any advise or just to talk. Moms try to be brave for their children but there may be times of tears. Love can get you through some pretty hard times.

Janet

Lost one, you are the same age as my daughter and it breaks my heart to see your post. you have gotten a terrible shock and it is devastating to you because you are mature enough to understand that you are losing your mom to a terrible disease. If it is at all possible, can you find someone to talk to like a guidance counselor at school or a pastor at church? If you can, maybe you could talk with your mom about seeing a Therapist. ALS is more than even strong full grown adults can handle alone so do not feel it is bad to seek help for you too.

You will not lose your mom today or next week from ALS--she could live for a very long time. you just do not know--it could be a year it could be ten years. try to focus on today with her, that is a very hard thing to do especially for a young person who is planning and dreaming of their future. You will need to keep dreaming of your future but live in the present for your mom.

I guarantee as a mom myself that yours wants you to live your life to the fullest. the best thing you can for her is reach for the stars and follow your dreams. every achievement you reach will be a testament to her and the love she gave you. Dont let her illness be an excuse for you to not do your best--do your best FOR HER.

You are obviously a good and loving daughter. We are all proud of you here.

LOST ONE: Don't forget to do the two things that your mom definitely, absolutely needs now.
They are:
1) Allow her to control her own life as much as possible. Don't "take over" her care. ALS robs us of control, so the second-best gift you can give her is to let her control as much of her daily needs as she can. She needs to be the one running her own life.
2) The "first-best" gift you can give her is to take control of your OWN life, instead of reacting to the disease. As much as possible, go to college, go to work, go on dates, whatever is normal for you. This disease is going to kill her, don't let it "kill" you, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back