Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
Arlington
Any recommendations for firm mattress that works with hospital bed? Hate to spend on ordering one without being able to test it.

Has anyone purchased a retail adjustable bed (e.g. Sleep Number) instead of a hospital bed? Your experience? Recommendations?

Just got my spouse's hospital bed delivered as covered by insurance. Mattress is insubstantial to say the least (6 in. innerspring, with some of the springs poking out the back!), he's a big guy and he sank down immediately, couldn't properly sit up even with head raised. Quick exit from bed with my assistance. So he slept in his motorized chair and I tried the hospital bed -- dreadful, squishy, tossed and turned, back ache when I woke up.

I'm thinking of delaying purchase of handicap van, as he can still transfer, and instead spending $$$ on a split-king adjustable bed frame and mattresses.

Advice? Thanks much.

Side by side sounds nice but for us would impede care: mask, pillow, drops, coughs, transfers, more. I sleep 6" away. So I can give care in the channel between the beds, do pivot/push up transfer w/ slip sheet. We have nightstand w/ BiPAP near head on other side so "my side" is how we get to head, which is essential.
As for bed type, real issue is not "hospital" but functionality: head/feet/height adjustable, + tilt up and down. You won't find the latter in consumer beds. Used full tilt last night for mask/head issue, then brought feet up in line.
You need medical grade foam/core mattress, not innerspring. Tryable in DC? Check insurance listings.
I posted some brands in previous post, I think -- Blue Chip, Geo-Matt, Invacare. My husband was 250# when we got mattress and his is 6". Need for height depends on density. Mfr should specify based on pt weight. Also, not toward you but any reading this still picking beds...do not settle for 80" length if pt is tall. We could not have done w/o 84" for 6-1 pt.
Let me know if you need more specifics.

Also, should have noted that w/ "good" mattress, my husband still needs an overlay of some kind. I know some others use alternating air but for him Isotonic-type foam or latex/wool mix works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back