Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fort Worth
Is a clean EMG testing of a single Masseter muscle typically enough to rule out rule out bulbar onset MND? Or is EMG testing of the tongue a more definitive test? Any information surrounding this questions is very much appreciated.

Hello- I'll leave the EMG questions for someone else with expertise to weigh in, but just looking back over your other threads, was CIDP definitively ruled out? What are your doctors saying right now?

Since the hallmark of the EMG of someone with ALS is specific abnormalities in multiple muscles tested, including asymptomatic ones, your question doesn't make that much sense.

No one would do an EMG on only one muscle, whether bulbar or not. However, the masseter muscle has been discussed in several papers as amenable to advanced EMG methods that are suggestive of "subclinical" bulbar dysfunction in PALS, i.e. without symptoms in the jaw area. So it would be a muscle that depending on the clinical picture could logically be included. You had two normal EMGs apart from a common wrist abnormality so if you're thinking of or reading a third EMG, I doubt there would be/was much to see.

Nor would one only read one line of an EMG to diagnose anything--that is not how the diagnostic criteria work.

My question would be as well, what happened with the CIDP concern?

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back