Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
Tn
City
Knoxville
Has anyone tried massage therapy for ALS?

>Has anyone tried massage therapy for ALS?

a couple of times but not with much success

It doesn't prolong neuronal survival (nothing does that we know of) but has improved my husband's quality of life, in concert w/ passive stretches and ROM exercises. He is quadriplegic. Also, when he has areas that "go numb," (he also has diabetic neuropathy and other reasons for numbness), massage is indispensable. You can see the skin color changes.

Needless to say, you don't want deep bodywork for this, but a gentler, slower approach. My husband's complete "workout" consisting of all of the above, takes >2h daily, in bed.

("Needless to say, you don't want deep bodywork for this, but a gentler, slower approach.") That was the question I was going to ask. I can't help but think it would help even for just spasticity. Thanks.

Paralyzed people need massages to get the painful fluid out of their feet and legs. They also need Range of Motion movements to relieve painful joints whcih have been immobile for too long.

But I wouldn't call it "for ALS" as neither massages nor exercise can be expected to slow down the progression of the disease.

Tried massage but not that helpful to me. I get the most out of time in pool. Think it has to do with weightlessness. It's relaxing, can do light aerobics and range of motion and I don't feel so clumsy and uncoordinated. I feel much worse on days I can't get to pool.

my husband loved his massages. had them once a week for about a year. helped with limb swelling and spacticity

It may not help but it sure improves quality of life

Besides supplements, moderate exercise, and diet, my PALS has had a massage every two weeks for the last 3 years.

I have a massage therapist come in once a week and she gives both of us a massage. I have to admit that I probably get more out of it than Tim, as he can't lay on his stomach and get his back rubbed, but she works on his shoulders and neck.

I have a manual wheel that folds and the back drops down....works great for back massage, magnet and vibrater experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back