Marijuana slows progression of als possibly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it prescribed to me...

When I was losing a lot of weight, plus dealing with nausea from my chemo that they are using to try to slow the progression of my disease.
It is prescribed to me in the pill form, "Marinol", which is THC.
Yes-it did help me with nausea, and did give me munchies.
I remember as a teenager smoking dope or take THC...now I laugh that I'm doing it legally...lol.
But one thing it does do, is it makes you "forget you have pain".
I don't use it often. As a matter of fact, my neighbor was using it more that I was--he had severe back pain.
One pill does it, two pills gets you stoned, three pills gets you zonkered.
I am prescribed one to three pills every 4 hours as needed.
KEDASO
(Ken)

Doooode , that's so gnarly. Prescription stonage ... awesome.

Now , I thought that pot was supposed to possibly destroy brain cells ... (I have no proof , I cant remember those days) . If so , wouldn't it be counter productive ?

Though , if its working for you , why mess with it !

Glen

I am warning my mom to stay away from Marinol. Again, another pharmaceutical that has other things in it that she doesn't need. The organic variety that I can produce is way cheaper and much better for you. Our dependence on these kind of man made drugs is what I am trying to avoid. Mother nature does a much better job than any drug company.

Steve my first and only experience with growing marijuana was when I was attending nursing school. A classmate asked me to house sit a wee marijuana plant. I put it on the back porch and it grew to about 5 feet tall before my school chum claimed it back. The whole time I was paranoid thinking I would be arrested any moment <g>. How is Micheline doing?
Laurel

In addition to helping with the munchies, I have come across a couple of medical articles that marijuana may provide some neural protection as well.

Vitamin "M"

Tim believes in Vitamin "M". Thants what we call it. Its not legal here. He has passed the 5 year DX.
Who knows?

Lorie

Steve my first and only experience with growing marijuana was when I was attending nursing school. A classmate asked me to house sit a wee marijuana plant. I put it on the back porch and it grew to about 5 feet tall before my school chum claimed it back. The whole time I was paranoid thinking I would be arrested any moment <g>. How is Micheline doing?
Laurel

Hi laurel,
I am no stranger to the cultivation of these plants and am not afraid of the cops, especially with the changing attitudes here in BC. "If" I decided to go ahead and grow a few I am not worried about being caught. Micheline is doing ok. Progression has started into her upper limbs and is starting to struggle with any kind of transferring. We have had tracks installed all over the house and have a single lift that we move to whatever track we are using. The kids and I are becoming experts on how to use the sling and help her transfer from chair to bed and back, and from chair to stair glide etc. Still have some major reno to perform in bathroom to get tracks installed there but are struggling to find the money to do so. We are now fighting with the extended health care provider to get her power chair and new wheelchair. We have already been denied once but is now in the appeal process. They seem to think we are made out of money and should be able to come up with this kind of money even in these tough economical times. Makes me sick to my stomach when I see the price tags attached to any of this medical stuff. Makes me worry when we will need more sophisticated equipment and the hoops we will have to jump through to get that stuff. We keep our chins up and just get through the day for tomorrow will bring a whole new set of challenges. Thanks for asking.

Steve, have you been in touch with the ALS Association? They usually provide this type of equipment on a loaner basis.

We are members of the local chapter (Vancouver). They are the ones that lent us the lift (we had to pay to have tracks installed since they wouldn't allow me to install myself, insurance purposes or something) and are providing the wheelchair and power chair (through Medichair) until the wifes are approved but the wheelchair we mainly use is too small for the wife. The other one that is better for her wont fit through our door to the bathroom so we use it when we go out and the power chair is half broken. The first day we got the power chair I got her in it and we started out for a walk and got across the street and one of the wheels fell off. Apparently they don't check this stuff out before dropping it off. Is funny now, but at the time I was trying to hold her and the chair from tipping over while trying to put the wheel back on so we could limp home. Was not impressed at all to say the least.

I say try it! If it feels good do it. I know that in some cases, especially if you have never had MJ before, then you may not like it, so don't do it again. one thing is for sure, it can 'free' your mind, good for meditation, and relaxation. good for when the massage therapist arrives. good for when moods are full of anxiety. Newcomers will laugh at things that really arent that funny, but laughing is the best medicine sometimes. I wouldn't suggest that ya'll go out and buy, but like most things, giver a try, if you are interested. Heck, sometimes as a couple it could be fun!
Just my two cents.

I've had constant cramps and stiffness so long, Ive become addicted to them. It would be wierd not feeling them anymore. I've become "in-touch" with my pain! We are ONE!:lol:

I don't know, I prefer to have a sharp mind at this juncture. Maybe a few stations down the track I'll be asking for some hootch.

smoked some back in the 60's as that was the thing to do back then It kind of made me paranoid the few times a did smoke it. I was more of a drinker back in the days. Who knows maybe I just got some bad stuff, it did not make me feel mellow and relaxed but rather nervous and hyper, margaret

Like all things it is not for everyone I guess. I have been reading a lot lately about the drug companies and corruption within the FDA and how prescription drugs are marketed and approved. Some call them conspiracy theories, depends on what side of the fence you stand on. There is a (no pun intended) grass roots movement in North America to return to more of a herbal approach to medicine. The drug companies balk at herbal alternatives because they don't make money off them. Some like the makers of Marinol are trying to jump on the bandwagon, but again is a synthesized version of something that occurs in nature. That is all I am trying to avoid. How many medicines are marketed and distributed and pulled later only after dangerous side effects including deaths are reported. Don't they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions? The drug industry is a multi billion maybe even trillion dollar industry. Greed is the motive and healing people or worse yet, curing people is bad for business. Again, just my opinion and is to be taken with a grain of salt (make mine natural salt please, lol).

relaxation

Funny that this post was here on pot, as I visited a woman with ALS who is jumping on board to get pot legal in our state. She said it is the only thing that calms her down and makes her relaxed.

I don't know if it is right or wrong but I am the caregiver of a husband with ALS and do not have the disease. But........if I did, maybe I would too. Who is to stay.

With this stinking disease that has no treatment no cure, if pot makes her feel better and relaxed, go for it. I personally enjoy a glass of red wine every now and then. And they say with ALS, stay away from alcohol if you have breathing problems.

My poor husband was a health, exercise nut, NEVER DRANK ALCOHOL OR SMOKED, and he has ALS.

Go figure.

Patty

If it wasn't obvious I am a recreational user myself. I am not like I used to be in my teens and 20's or even 30's (now 43). I stopped drinking about 18yrs ago. Back in the days when I was a full time musician it was an occupational requirement, lol. I don't do anything else as I am way too old for those hallucinogenic kinds and won't go near any other kind of designer stuff that kids do today. As a CALS I will say at the end of a terrible stressful day at work and then home it is the only thing I can think of to calm my nerves. I come down to my man cave in the basement and light one up. I don't smoke until I am stupid, I smoke until I am completely relaxed and stress free. It is not a crutch, it is not an escape as my problems don't disappear but I believe it makes me more easy going and less critical of our situation. I believe if I am not on edge it relaxes my wife. She knows the tremendous amount of stress I am under at work and of course at home and in turn it stresses her out to see me wound up tighter than a 2 dollar watch. I am not one to talk about my feelings with anyone including my closest friends. I keep my game face on 24/7. I have tried other ways to decompress and they just don't do it for me the way that this stuff does. I do in moderation and when it is appropriate for me to do so. Never at work and at times when it would not be acceptable. I guess this will be all I will say about this subject as there are many others that believe that it is bad for you, it is illegal, or even immoral etc etc. Do what works for you. Don't let anyone else tell you what is right for you. Every time I turn on the TV I am bombarded with ads that say I should ask my doctor about this or that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back