Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
Found this article about marijuana helping MS patients with spasticity. Maybe it could help PALS dealing with the same symptoms?

"Spasticity, an involuntary increase in muscle tone or rapid muscle contractions, is one of the more common and distressing symptoms of MS," the researchers noted in their review. "Medicinal treatment may reduce spasticity, but may also be ineffective, difficult to obtain or associated with intolerable side effects," they added.

"We found evidence that cannabis plant extracts may provide therapeutic benefit for MS spasticity symptoms," Lakhan said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if my VA neuro would write me a script for it? I'd really hate for my wife, kids, friends and neighbors to see me toking on a doobie, though. It's so not me but then again, who's to say it couldn't become me? After all, even though I'm not very flexible in body, I can be in mind!

Zaphoon

PZ- I think there is a tablet form of the compounds found in marijuana, which your doc may be able to prescribe. I may look into this myself as I have been having a lot of muscle pain and stiffness, lately spreading to my torso. the PCP wanted to put me on baclofen, but I declined after I read about the side effects. I can deal with it for now.

if you can't get a scrip and don't want to smoke, you could always whip up a batch of pot brownies! just keep them away from the rest of the family.

Sandra

Sandra, My doc warned me about possible side effects from meds he could order and I agreed to hold out on taking them.

I had a good friend in the navy that was sort of a personal secretary to a commander (department head). My friend brought in some brownies made with hashish one day and the commander saw the brownies on my friend's desk. He reached out his hand to take one and then drew it back saying, "Naw, I'd better not. The wife has me on this diet..."

True story! Memories of a stupid friend from the 70's...

Zaphoon

Last edited:
A pALS acquaintance gave us some doctored brownies. His mom would make them, but put green sprinkles on them so she and he would know which had the added ingredient! Makes my husband too goofy to deal with! LOL

CJ,

That's a hoot!

PZ

Brilliant idea to solve my financial woes and make my Husband HAPPY! My 84 year old Daddy still has 80 acres of the Farm left...gee, I will just grow POT! lolol Seriously, it does have fabulous and documented medical purposes-relieves the unrelenting nausea from chemo, reduces intraocular pressur with glaucoma, stablizes MS symptoms so it should be great for ALS symptoms. Wish it were legal in my state so we could give it a try :]

At our local legal dispensary (I have a doctor's script for my husband and myself), I got some candy bars and brownies some time ago for my husband to see if it would give him the munchies, but it didn't help his appetite at all. They also had "soft drinks" ... liquid form ... so got a bottle for myself, but haven't tried it yet. I am leery of using anything intoxicating with my balance problems. (Got measured for my "electric chair" yesterday, and it's just in time, I think.)

I get spasticity in the mornings when I wake up ... very painful, as you all know. But once I am up and about and preparing meds for my PEG, it's OK. Does MJ help prevent spasticity in general, or do you ingest it when the problem is occuring? That is, if I PEG'd my pot pop at night, would it prevent spasticity in the a.m.?

(Kay Marie ... it's supposed to be the No. 1 cash crop in Calif., which is the No. 1 agrricultural state in the union, which will give you an idea of it's enormous medical benefits! So start planting next spring!)

Oh that I could!:wink:

Maybe I'm belaboring the point, but I have posted several times that I think ALL pALS should at least try marijuana. Not only does it help with symptomatic relief, but it also seems to slow progression in some patients. I will be starting it myself at the beginning of the new year (legal in Montana, medically speaking).

Not legal here so I will not be doing it.

Good Luck! I hope it helps.

scottdavene, thanks, but no thanks

Scott ... This is a support group, and we don't do political action stuff unless it relates directly to ALS.

i would like to say i know someone who has had ms for 9yr and he went downhill quite quickly but he didnt let it get him down and started to research on herbal remerdies he has been using hemp oil now i dont meen hemp oil from the shops its pure hemp oil and detox his body and his upbeat attitude he couldnt get out of bed 4yrs ago and the doctors told him theres nothing they could do but after 3yrs he is walking and running his shop and i went to c him about month ago and he beleives he is getting better
i look up hemp oil and it seem like i have nothing to lose in trying to get it for my uncle who has als the guys name is peter and i sat with him for 3hours and he explained everything how HE feels about ms and he thinks its the toxins that we put in our bodys. our bodies react different good and bad and he thinks by flushing them out and taking hemp oil at the same time it is illegal in this country but so what if its gonna help my uncle i will try and prolong my uncle life with everypart of me so i am gonna go and c him i halfin will let u know godbless

Dahling BethU, I asked your "That is, if I PEG'd my pot pop at night, would it prevent spasticity in the a.m.?" to someone that may know and they said to TRY IT! One of the effects is relaxation. You probably are having the spasms at night when you are sleeping so if you peg your pot pop at night it should help you sleep and also help control the spasms. Do it and let us know if it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back