Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
New York
City
Albany
I'm 62 and have been diagnosed with PLS for about 18 months. Progressive symptoms for about 10 years. How do I sort out whether some symptoms are due to PLS or are from other factors. For example, the ortho guy tells me I have arthritis in my lower spine. I know this pain and it is different from my PLS leg cramps. But I also have tightening of the buttocks muscles and can't figure out whether this is from the arthritis or from the PLS. Also, my hands and feet have occasional burning/numbness-- is this PLS? My left arm gets very tired quickly in one position (I can't hold a phone in one hand for too long) is this PLS? My neuro tells me to take my Baclefen and get on with my life; my ortho tells me to take Aleve. Does anyone have any experience going to one place and working on all such issues?

Larry My best advice is to find out everything you have then decide which symptoms fit which disease .I have Arthritis of the neck ,osteopenia of the left hip Gerd ,Psoriasis ,PLS .I know my Incoordination issues are due to PLS all muscle issues are PLS issues (cramps etc ) swallowing issues ie choking ,PLS Speech Issues PLS . Of course one tough one for me i I have morning stiffness ,which can be both Arthritis and PLS
I was told "you will problably not die from PLS more likely Cohlesterol or heart or someother health issues . So my advice is Take care of your health the best you can . Geo

hi

besides my neuro i go to the neuro rehab clinic and see a doctor there, they evaluate my symptoms/progression/meds,see if theres anything new going on. i have complained about odd little things i have not been sure are related and they try to sort them out by investigating such as bladder issues , swollowing etc. i am told you can't blame everything on your neurological illness and we can have other issues going on but sometimes our main symptoms can have a knock on effect causing secondary symptoms.
so anything your not sure of get checked out and if theres no explanation it maybe a secondary symptom. i have a weak right hip due to the years of spasms/weakness and can like alot with pls have chronic lower back pain which is due to spasms/weakness/gait and the list can go on lol.
take good care
caroline:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back