Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Part 3 is here with links to previous https://www.alsforums.com/forum/other/40721-making-things-easier-part-3-a.html

Part 4 is here https://www.alsforums.com/forum/other/42231-making-things-easier-part-4-a.html

I like to revisit this topic periodically for several reasons. I do think this is something people should look to early. The brutal truth is things aren’t going to get easier if you keep doing things the same way. They are going to get harder then impossible.

It is easier to accomplish big changes like moving early. You can also start to reap the very big benefits of energy conservation. Of course not everyone needs to move but most people need to at least make changes to their home.

I put things off a lot but my new approach is once something is a little hard I find a work around right away rather than use precious energy struggling.

My latest issues are mostly hand related and I just got the ( expensive) electric jar opener from black and decker ( not the can opener bottle and jar opener which looked like a waste of money). It works really well I have my eye on a mini chopper that is also elecric and already have signature stamps as previously noted. If you still can write get them now ! Don’t wait until your writing starts to go.

I realize a lot of this is for slow progressing people or even for CALS but please chime in with ideas and experiences.

I went back and read all four threads. There are still things listed that I want to do but have not!

I think the best thing I started doing is ordering meals from Healthy Chef. They use organic veggies and free-range meat/chicken. You can customize your orders. The food is delivered (here) on Friday in a two hour window. The meals are large, healthy and filling. They come fresh and vacuum sealed. You just pop them in the microwave for about 2 minutes and they're ready. The containers are BPA free. This has made my grocery shopping extremely easy.

My drugstore delivers. I'm going to set up my account this week. My grocery store also started delivering. That is on my to-do list.

I bought a walker last month. I've not used it much but it is so easy on my back and knees. My brother also got one. He is 82 and very unsteady.

I tried a product shipped from Daily Harvest. They are frozen smoothies with organic, healthy ingredients. I was having one a day for several months but now I've cut back to a couple a week. You open the container, fill it to the top with your liquid of choice (I use almond milk or coconut milk) and throw it in the Vitamix for 30 seconds. They are very nutrient dense. I add Greek Yogurt for more protein and it makes a good dessert.

Everyone tells me they can't afford the home delivery prepared food but I spend no more than I did before because there is zero waste. It also saves hours of time and energy and they taste good. I still cook when I feel like it but it isn't necessary.

I look forward to hearing everything PALS and CALS are doing to make life easier.

Nikki, thanks for starting this up again.

PS: I paid the whole year in HOA dues!

:) A Special Thank You to everyone who has posted here. This is a great idea. It has been most informative and helpful!

We are just beginning two bathroom renovations. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated. Especially things you didn't do, you wish you would have!

Considering a toilet-seat commode, I read a Bondell, with filter, was best. Will it survive being flopped down on? Once I let go of the window sill, it's all downhill. (Gravity can be a challenge!) :(

When completed, I'll share what we did. Such expensive renovations make me anxious. Hopefully, it will all come out all right.

The wood, deck-type, uncovered porch with ramp turned out just the way we wanted. It's large enough to have a small party on. I can roll around it in my power w., (which makes me feel as if I'm really going somewhere), and will match the brick when it's stained. The bottom is just above ground level. The top, at door sill. It was worth the money and should last years.

One unexpected feature, was hearing the sound of rain pattering on it. I enjoy that since I can't go out in the rain. Small joys are deeply appreciated.

Thanks to all past and future sharers. May blessings abound. B. 8)

Attachments

• Minion Thanks.jpg
    Minion Thanks.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 206
So far the things that have made my life easier with ALS have been:

1. Remodeling bathroom and installing a ramp right after diagnosis. I used that ramp with my rollator even before I had a wheelchair. I’ve been able to appreciate the grab bars in the shower even before needing to roll in. And that bidet toilet seat is now indispensable.

As with any home remodeling, the earlier you do it, the more time you have to enjoy it, budget and disease progression rate permitting.

2. We’ve also tried to do other home improvements and repairs early in the course of ALS before we got too overwhelmed by life (fortunately my progression has not been too fast).

3. Using a loaner pwc before I got my own.

4. Getting cataract/ lens implant surgery as my hands were failing (previously wore contacts or thick glasses).

5. Electric toothbrush with a thick handle.

6. Vita-mix blender

7. Replacing an old funky dinning room table with one that is counter height and with corresponding higher chairs. A wheelchair fits more easily under a taller table.

8. Getting involved with my local ALS support group

9. This forum

B,
I'm ashamed to admit I used the entire proceeds from my paid off condo just to renovate this new one. That includes new TVs and new computers/software but the money flew out of my bank account at record speed. Living right next to the Ocean made it necessary to get all new windows and three sliding glass doors, Category 5 triple pane. I don't regret it because they are very easy to open and reduced energy consumption by 30%. Half of the people in the building bit the bullet for new windows this past year.

I think it's important to have accessibility to get out of my condo when I'm confined to a PWC. I'm on the ground floor, end unit but both porches have metal rails to match the balconies on other floors. I'm going to modify the one closest to my bedroom to make a gate that I can roll out, giving me outdoor access from both the front door and the "back door." The back has a path through the tree line to the golf course, then it's open road.

I'll have to deal with the HOA because they have strict rules on our front door right down to the company that installs the locks. For me to have a door that opens automatically, I'll need to play the ADA card which I have no problem doing. The condo association has a master key to each unit because there are sprinklers in every room and 40% of the residents are seasonal. In an emergency, I can call the number of maintenance 24/7 and they have access.

For people who are recently diagnosed, I would recommend these three things:
1. Vitamix, 2. Lift chair and 3. Bidet toilet seat
I use all three every day.

The other thing I did recently is stocked up on OTC meds and supplements I take each day, including medical cannabis. It was an expensive cash outflow but I now have enough for at least two years.

Note to Karen: Ever since I read your post about your lift chair, I've noticed MINE pushing my head forward. Let me know when this issue is solved. When I'm reclined it's no problem but I eat in the chair watching TV and now I'm aware that my neck isn't resting properly. Thanks for the suggestion on a taller table. I sold my huge dining room table because I never used it but there is space for a smaller, taller one. I might consider that option.

Kim,
What do you use your Vitamix for? Nutitional drinks? I recall this conversation elsewhere but need a reminder.
Cathy

Mostly smoothies and soup. The motor is so strong, it'll heat up the veggies you throw in and the soup is ready.

In the past, I've also made nut butters and ice cream.

When I was told by Mayo Clinic I needed to gain 30 pounds, I formulated shakes that were 1,500 calories and full of healthy things like avocados, nut butters, and Greek Yogurt.

For PALS with swallowing issues you can puree any kind of meal and that allows the PALS to eat the same thing as family. I'm sure you can also use it to liquify feeding tube meals, too. You just have to play around with the amount of liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back