Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
Uk
State
East Lothian, Scotland
City
Haddington
Is it possible to make phone calls with text to speech software?

Conceptually, with iOS9, which permits multitasking, you could use Facetime or Skype and use a TTS app to generate audio that your caller could hear. I haven't tried it myself, so this is just a theory. With two devices, of course you can. You could also establish a video connection and then type your side of the conversation via chat, which I think more people do because of the speed factor.

Or if you mean dialing by voice, either iOS (Siri or the other voice command mode) or Android (I'd imagine) you can do that, too, likewise w/ apps on Mac or Windows. Or if you mean the other way around, of course, you can use the keyboard to highlight a contact and call that person using the app of your choice.

If you could be more specific about what device(s) you want to use to do what, people here could probably chime in better than I.

Last edited:
I'm in the UK and my provider has an app for every device to make calls. I've tried desktop and mobile/cell phone with TTS but the caller doesnt hear the voice very well. I think I need to use my bluetooth speaker when I'm calling as it's louder

I use my Android tablet speech assistant app, put my cell phone on speaker and let the two devices talk to each other (with my supervision, of course). Awkward, but works.

My wife uses iPad with text to speech app--then makes calls with phine on speaker--- the other party has to be patient and really pay attention to get everything she says. But it can be done.

I use texting or email for all non face to face communication now. It's 2015 and I haven't had one instance yet where I absolutely had to use voice over the phone, whether my own or from my Tobii. Sorry I guess that's not very helpful. Most people are very willing to accommodate, I make appointments, order groceries, text my friends, email my son's teacher, bank onlinek, etc... All using my eyes on my tablet. The odd time someone calls my number and ignores the automated voice request for an email, I can check my voicemail using gmails calling feature. If they have a landline you can message them using text to landline.

what app do you use for your android device? And do you have any suggestions of how to connect my Samsung with my tobii I series? it says its connected, but the phone call peach function doesn't carry over to the phone call (if that makes sense)

what app do you use for your android device? And do you have any suggestions of how to connect my Samsung with my tobii I series? it says its connected, but the phone call peach function doesn't carry over to the phone call (if that makes sense)

If you want to text people on their cell phones from your Tobii, just download an app on your android phone called "Mightytext" I've tried a few texting apps and it seems the best to me. Once you have it set up on your phone, you just open up their website on your Tobii and follow the instructions. As far as actually voice calling, I have found using the Gmail calling feature the easiest, and it's free......

thank you so much! do you use gmail calling through the tobii?

thank you so much! do you use gmail calling through the tobii?[/

I did, before my speech deteriorated to the point of not being understandable over the phone. I also use google chrome as my primary browser, not sure if you can pit that on your I-series but I recommend it if you are an android user.

we are. i will look into it. thank you again for all of your help! its great that there is a community willing to help each other out with this awful disease. i will be praying for you and your family.

This service is available on many operators in many countries now. Online apps are the best solution for this phone calls issue you are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back