Diagnosis
07/2022
Country
US
State
MD
City
Rockville
I will post some pictures when I am done, but my father-in-law is really not able to do steps anymore. Its a safety thing. And we are going to the beach and he needs to be brought up to the first floor from the ground :unsure:. I've found nothing very helpful that is readily available, light, or cheap, so decided to make a wheelchair (more of a chair-with-wheels) that can get him up a set of steps easily, is narrow enough to go through places, and that I can further modify as needed. I used a folding chair from Costco, EMT conduit, and a set of 16" wheels from a jogging stroller. Bought a seatbelt to strap him in safely. I feel like being able to help solve physical challenges de-stresses their lives some so they can deal with any other more mental or emotional ones.
I've still got some welding left to do on the front bracket / footrest. When I got my MIG welder last year my mother in law was like "what are you going to do with that?!". People aren't asking those questions anymore!

Hey, I'm looking forward to those pictures! Happy build!

Here are the pics. I think he would like armrests too but I’ll have to add when we get back from the beach. Same for maybe a higher foot holder. It’s just so humid here that grinding and welding outside is a sweaty experience 😢. My dog Teddy will pick things up to hand to him, I said “we could put an orange vest on this fellow and take him anywhere you go!”
Chair has a nice balance and ergonomic to push.
By the way it’s really solid and I’m having my daughter, 15, be the test subject on some steps for it.

Attachments

• 67E387BB-7430-42B7-9B31-9DD8A5166A40.jpeg
    67E387BB-7430-42B7-9B31-9DD8A5166A40.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • C611EF42-E3AC-45F4-893A-7F1412D3E610.jpeg
    C611EF42-E3AC-45F4-893A-7F1412D3E610.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
This looks pretty lightweight and like it has good leverage. I understand the want for armrests. Even with the belt there's the instinct to hold onto something. Maybe just let him hold the beach bag on his lap, I imagine that would feel less exposee.

With my PALS I noticed that he reacted pretty scared and irrational in new movement situations. He didn't always trust the physics and most of all he didn't trust his ever-changing ALS body. It makes sense, because that body is not able to do stuff it used to. And that includes stopping a fall or getting your balance back quick enough to avoid one. So please keep in mind not to only keep him safe but to make sure he also feels safe at all times.

I just cut the metal for the armrests and will be welding them in later today, and will add some more pics. I can 3-d print some nice little spherical ends on the tubes at the end of the armrests...No need for rough sharp edges either.

I have added some nice arms that turned out pretty well. He seems much more comfortable with sitting it it with the arms. Stairs works well so far too.

Attachments

• 6D4AFF37-A961-46DE-8394-E10ED122D3F3.jpeg
    6D4AFF37-A961-46DE-8394-E10ED122D3F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 92
I would love video of it on stairs if you could

Very cool! I used to "McGyver" things for my husband too. But nothing on this level. Kudos to you! I think half of being a CALS is just "making it work".

There wasn't any feasibility to get video but it worked fine on stairs, saved the day really. I actually hopped in the middle of the back handle and held the seat handle and metal handle and had a helper hold the bottom rail and up the steps we rolled. Got him out to the beach-edge on the walkway, so he could overlook the ocean a few days. Next year....I dunno:rolleyes:. This one was kind of a squeaker getting it done. I mean, a lot of (solvable) issues., but travel with him is difficult, and time won't make it easier, even for a maybe slow-progressor. I'm glad we got him there though. A good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back