Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
The TAX MAN COMETH :twisted: Just when I had convinced myself that it couldn't get any worse :-( it is... We got a notice from our "helpful" government office called the IRS that we owe an additional $3000.00 in taxes + a penalty + interest on last years taxes. WTH We have always had our taxes done by an accountant! If I knew how to do my taxes, I would have done them myself and truly done tax EVASION! I took the notice to the accountant and asked him how HE WAS GOING TO FIX his mistake? he said, "It is your responsibility to double check our figures and make sure that it is correct." WTF That is why we write him a check every year! I calmly
explained to him that we did NOT have $3000 + + to give to the stinkin, worthless government but they were welcome to my two useless ovaries! Soooo, I guess that they will attach the Grace House? I have listened to this song many times-perfect for this situation and definately may be my personal new theme song! 2010 promises to be a bigger Roller coaster ride..Anyone here with a tax background that can tell me what to do really? Honestly, I am battle weary. :-(

INNER CITY BLUES (MAKE ME WANNA HOLLER) by MARVIN GAYE
YouTube- INNER CITY BLUES (MAKE ME WANNA HOLLER) by MARVIN GAYE

Here are the lyrics which are soul appropriate!

Dah, dah, dah, dah
dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah, dah... See More
Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Rockets, moon shots
Spend it on the have nots
Money, we make it
For we see it you take it
Oh, make you wanna holler
The way they do my life
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
This ain't livin', This ain't livin'
No, no baby, this ain't livin'
No, no, no
Inflation no chance
To increase finance
Bills pile up sky high
Send that boy off to die
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Hang ups, let downs
Bad breaks, set backs
Natural fact is
I can't pay my taxes
Oh, make me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Yea, it makes me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing
Panic is spreading
God know where we're heading
Oh, make me wanna holler
They don't understand
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Dah, dah, dah
Mother, mother
Everybody thinks we're wrong
Who are they to judge us
Simply cause we wear our hair long​

That stinks! I've been making payments to the gestapo for as long as I can remember. Offer a payment plan of $1.50 monthly for the next 2000 months. Or, wait 'till I get my helicopter, then write them a bad check just before I pick you and your husband. -JK

They have got to accept a payment plan. I'd pull out all the stops ... play the ALS card as hard as you can, appeal, appeal, appeal. And get a new accountant!

That is truly despictable! On the part of the IRS and even more, on the part of the accountant.

Jeez.

My husband does tax returns for a reputable company that does corporal returns also... so he is the one to ask.
Of course, he just went out to go to work. So, I'll answer your question for now and will add more later to change
what I've said or to add to it.

I think you need to either send an amendment to last year's or do last year's over.
I know that, for instance, when I realized I was eligible for Earned Income Credit because I had a custodial son I
was still raising (with child support) I applied an amendment and got 4 year's back money that I deserved...
and that was about $4000.

I also see Rick, finding out someone left something out on last year's and gets to do it over still. We could have him
privately ask you some questions and then he'd tell you what your options are. I am sure that having last year done
is NOT a done deal.

How much did you pay these clowns to do your taxes? I always do mine online via taxact.com for about $15 bucks. I never will understand why such awful things happen to such good people. When mom was sick, things like this just kept happening over and over. It seemed every week we were dealing with a new horrible catastrophe. Which is why I was always saying "God hates me".

I don't have a background in tax stuff but I can tell you don't sweat it, I know lots of people who make minimal payments and owe way way way more than that. My dad is a dipstick and didn't file for 3 years in a row and he owes penalties up the wazoo but he makes small payments every month. Hopefully you can get them to drop the penalties and interest or at least reduce them.

Ok, no ovaries but how about a healthy kidney?! Marjorie, tussen takk for asking Rick and I will be so anxious to hear what he has to say. Here is my question, don't book keeping companies have to stand behind their returns? Like liabilty insurance or something :0
Bottom line is that we do not have it to give to those stinkers. I was told that they will put a lien on the Grace house! Did anyone listen to my song? I LOVE IT! but not as much as I LOVE ALL OF YOU xo

Kay Marie, unfortunately you will ultimately have to pay the IRS what you owe. However I have gotten behind on my taxes a few times over the years, and from my experience the IRS doesn't do anything about it for at least a couple of years. They will just keep adding interest to what you owe, and sending letters. So you have time to work something out, it is not really very urgent.

As far as your tax preparer, if they did make a mistake they should be responsible for any penalties associated with it, but not for the basic amount you would have owed anyway if the taxes were done correctly. If they don't voluntarily cover this, you could sue them in small claims court.

Now it's possible that it wasn't actually their error, maybe you had another source of income they didn't know about, or something like that. If so you would just have to pay the IRS, but again as I said you can ignore them for a long time if you want. Or just send a letter explaining the ALS and you can delay things, and eventually work out a payment plan. The IRS is not a very fearsome creditor, I would take them over a collection agency any day.

Oh Kay Marie! You just can't get a break these days, can you? My advise is to drop that accountant immediately. If it is their mistake(you didn't forget to give them info) they should be responsible for their work!
so here's a (((((big hug))))))) Hang in there. Life can only get better. Look at the beautiful snow! Take a deep breath. And go love your family!

Here I am after talking to Rick. He says you should immediately make an appointment with the local IRS office.
If the return has even been done correctly, and we suspect not, then you would owe the money but the accountant
owes the penalties etc. We would like to see you go over it with an IRS agent and get it correct.

We have no idea if you could still work much during last year etc. etc. etc. Feel free to ask us questions. You should
be able to get this straightened out. Good luck!

Whoa! I am so sorry Kay Marie. This really sucks but Marjorie's post gives me some hope. Thank goodness for Rick's expertise. Go for it and play that ALS card as much as you have to!

Damn taxman! I can't believe your accountant! I am truly underwhelmed by his skills as an accountant and repulsed by his reaction to your situation.

Big big hugs to you, Friend
xo Rosella

You must address this right away Kay Marie! Marjorie and Rick are right! My husband had a 1099 problem (the guy he worked for falsely reported the amount he made) before they changed the law and he ended up owing about 10K. There wasn't a dad blamed thing we could do about it! And we didn't ever get any notices until years later. You are lucky you are getting a notice now and not 6 or 7 years later with the added penalties and interest! I know it sucks anyway! Good luck!

THANK YOU for the much needed advice and for the support! The accountant is also a IRS Attorney [are you ROTFLYAO?!] he said that they will definately remove the penalty and he is going to appeal it as a hardship case [?]. Just another bump on the road I guess.

You know I can't resist extending the metaphor in your last sentence. Here, try this.
2463721151_15c1ac68bd.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: That is EXACTLY what is needed! Do you suppose that we can get tax money to pay for the use of it?!

Yes, just fill out form 1040A-Loser or have your accountant do that for you. --JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back