“Make-a-wish” organizations for those w ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shan123

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IL
City
Palatine
Hi! I’m new to this forum - my brother-in-law was diagnosed summer 2017. I’m looking in to organizations which grant wishes to adults with ALS. I’d love to help him and my sister take their family to Disney while it’s still feasible. He can currently still walk but is weakening and has breathing issues, so I feel like Spring Break 2018 May be a good time for them to do something g like this. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Shannon

There's something called the dream foundation not specific to ALS but for terminally ill adults.

Thanks - that one said only for those with one year left to live - hard to know that for ALS. Maybe we can try anyway.

Sorry to welcome you, Shannon, and please mention the forum to your BIL/sis if they're not aware.

The ALSGA is chronically underfunded so has a long waiting list of requests (including many referred by the ALSA), and I don't think this one would float to the top since it does not relate to basic needs. Also, their max grant is around $1K.

A trip like that will take advance planning, and of course, air tickets in advance are often cheaper. If they lack the resources and you have talked with them as to whether this is really what everyone wants to go for, I would try to crowdsource funds through family, friends, colleagues, etc.

Also, he, you and his family should be aware that by spring he may well be in a wheelchair and/or need BiPAP, so reading up on the Disney parks' accessibility options (and I am sure others here can shed light) would be a good idea. Which park were you looking at?

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back