Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hello everyone. I got this email yesterday and I thought that it maybe something that forum members could take advantage of (many of you may have also received it):

Dear Barry,

This July 4th is ALS Awareness Day! In every MLB ballpark on that day, special events and activities will take place – including the reading of Lou Gehrig’s “Luckiest Man Alive” speech. Many of the teams have generously donated FREE TICKETS for ALS TDI supporters, ALS patients, their families and friends.

We are happy to offer FREE tickets to the following games (all times eastern):*

ImagePittsburg Pirates at Florida Marlins (July 4th – 6:10PM)

New York Mets at Philadelphia Phillies (July 4th – 4:05PM)

Baltimore Orioles at Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (July 4th – 9:05PM)

St. Louis Cardinals at Cincinnati Reds (July 4th – 1:10PM)

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego Padres (July 4th – 4:10PM)

Arizona Diamondbacks at Colorado Rockies (July 4th – 8:10PM)

San Francisco Giants at Pittsburg Pirates (July 19th – 1:35PM)

Cleveland Indians at Chicago White Sox (July 8th - 7:11PM)

*Wheelchair seating is limited and ballparks have offered a limited number to each game. Please make sure that you indicate your needs when making your request.

We have a limited number of tickets to each game and they will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please make your requests ASAP! While these tickets are being provided free of charge from participating MLB teams, we ask that you consider making a donation to ALS TDI online at www.als.net/join .

To request your FREE tickets to ALS Awareness Day at one of the above games, please Click Here.

https://www.als.net/MLB4ALS/tickets... at one of the above games, please Click Here.

Want to Volunteer at one of these games on the 4th of July - CLICK HERE
http://als.net/

ALS TDI has been offered the chance to distribute informational materials about ALS and about our research at some of the ballparks! We need volunteers! Please click above, reply to this email, or email us directly at [email protected] to become a volunteer! All volunteers will work in shifts and will be also provided a ticket to the ball game.

The campaign, called "4♦ALS Awareness," will culminate with Gehrig's words being read at all Major League ballparks this coming July 4th. The four participating organizations are The ALS Association, ALS TDI, MDA's Augie's Quest, and Project A.L.S. MLB.com will also conduct an online auction to raise funds for the initiative. We will continue to provide you with information on this special day. Check our campaign homepage at www.als.net/mlb4als for updates on activities at parks and online auctions.

Thank you for supporting ALS reserach at ALS TDI!

Best,
Dave

David McKanna
Vice President, Development
[email protected]
617-441-7244

Thank you so much Barry, such a thoughtful guy. I am going to the Phillies and taking some people to make a lot of noise for ALS.. I hope we have great turn-outs for ALS. I am a Lou Gehrig fanatic... It will be a moving experience.. Hope we can bring the younger generations in touch with the Iron Horse, he and Elanor were what character See the Pride of The Yankees movie if any of you have not.. Gary Cooper play's Lou, and Babe Ruth plays himself....

Have a great time at the game Hoping!
Great link Barry.....this is an idea that has a ton of potential! Bit far for us to get to a game but a fantastic concept to raise awareness!
Maybe we can get something going up here in Canada with the CFL....Canadian Football League for our friends down south ;)
Tony Proudfoot has done a real good job of raising awareness of ALS in some areas up here. He played with Montreal and was then an announcer till his voice went with the disease. Here is a link to the ALS site thsast has some info on him
http://www.sla-quebec.ca/en/tony_proudfoot_fund/introduction.php

Rick

Rick,
thank you, we will make everyone around us be sure to care about als..
thank you for the link, seems like a great guy.
I think the CFL would be a great idea. OJ Brigadance played for the CFL before he came to the Ravens, he would probably have some really go contacts in the CFL.. .. I spoke to him through his assistant seems like a great man.

CFL for ALS

Great idea Rick, I would love to see a football game! And especially when it would help to promote the awareness of ALS in the general population. I think that I will start telling everyone that I have ALS or Tony Proudfoot's disease. I remember him when helped the Alouettes win the Grey Cup in 1977 against "my team", the Edmonton Eskimos. He was the guy who used a staple gun on his shoes to get extra traction on the icy field. Note to American friends: We Canadians don't let a little thing like ice and snow get in the way of our sports (although I have to admit that a good many if not most of the CFL players are American). I wonder how he is doing? I am going to send him an email and let him know about the free baseball game and see if he can help make the free football game idea happen. Maybe the national ALS society could do something about this idea, I'll send them an email too!

Barry

Hoping-

We are going to the Phillies/Mets game, too!

Back in Feb./March when this was first talked about, my husband said he thought it would be fun to go to a game. I checked and saw the Phillies (aka WORLD CHAMPIONS) had a home game. So, talked it over with my sons and decided to throw Jim a birhtday party in July! (his birhtday is in Sept.!)

We will have 32 family members; should be a great time!
And, hopefully, lots of publicity for ALS!

Mare how awesome. How special, you seem like such a great wife.. I think we will make them give us publicity huh? You are surely proving to be a helpful, caring, and kind Cals, and a great member of our family forum.. Go PHILLIES... GO MLB... Thank you LOU...

Hey....do I see a bit of a 'Phillie' bias developing here?
Barry....go for it! I think this could really work up here...we could get all the provincial ALS societies working on it too.....I remember the 'staple game' As a westerner I was pulling for the Eskies too!
Rick

Hoping and mare, are you going to the Phillies Phestival this Monday the 22nd?

Gee, I thought all Canadians played was hockey! LOL

Although the SD Padres are not mentioned, I will be representing ALS TDI on July 4th and may have few tickets for ALS patients/family.
joreader

Jeff,
My husband is going with my son; my son wants to meet the team members in the media center! Me, not so much!

Gee, I thought all Canadians played was hockey! LOL

Mare, you're right, hockey is king in this country but we have to have something to do in the summer and fall. At least with hockey ice is a requirement not an obstacle! I hope that everyone who goes to a game has a good time.

Phillies game on July 4

Hi Barry

THANK YOU FOR THAT SPECIAL OFFER! I am so hoping we get tickets so we can show off his fancy bipap case that we bungee cord to the back of his wheelchair.

Keeping my fingers crossed~! :)

Hi, Patty-

Hope you get the tickets for the game! Keeping my fingers crossed for you, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back