04/2011
Country
IND
State
Haryana
City
Gurgaon
Hi All,

I wanted to confirm that is there some kind of machine/instrument that can help Bulbar palsy patients who have (almost) lost their speech.

Because to be affected with this disease and not able to express what are you feeling is really horrible.

So i tries searching in on internet but could not find an answer so thought may be i can find an answer here.

Thanks.

Try an iPad with "speak it" or verbally... There's also Dynavox as well

Good luck,
Jen

You need to use your search engine for "augmentative speech devices" or "augmentative communication devices." That will provide you with many different results for artificial speech technology.

Keep in mind that loss of functioning in the hands will be something to consider when getting a speech device, so think ahead.

Try an iPad with "speak it" or verbally... There's also Dynavox as well

Good luck,
Jen

Thanks.... i looked at their site and i am trying to understand which one will best suit my mom...

You need to use your search engine for "augmentative speech devices" or "augmentative communication devices." That will provide you with many different results for artificial speech technology.

Keep in mind that loss of functioning in the hands will be something to consider when getting a speech device, so think ahead.

ya.. i had also realized that this would be a very big factor to keep in mind....
i will search for this and see what suits the best...

If her hands work okay at this point, an iPad might be easiest, though a loaner closet or Medicare may pay for a Dynavox if the doc will order it.

Heck, there are even free apps that work on an iPhone or android phone that aren't too complicated.

Not sure what to suggest for down the road. Some use gear that they operate with their eyes.

i have an iphone.. i will search for the app.. and try to use it to see how good it is...

My only issue with the iPhone is my fingers are no longer working well enough for the smaller keyboard, but can still do okay ok my iPad and my phone with the stylus if I am slow and careful. I miss my finger dexterity.

My only issue with the iPhone is my fingers are no longer working well enough for the smaller keyboard, but can still do okay ok my iPad and my phone with the stylus if I am slow and careful. I miss my finger dexterity.

could you please let me know which app you used on iPhone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back