Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Il
City
Chicago
Has anyone used this?

I am seeing another neuro for another opinion and emg next week. However, the previous neuro didn't think ALS and gave me lyrica for the pain I feel in my legs (sometimes arms).

She said it helps to end fasiculations, too. I've taken it for two nights.

So far, it can make you woozy and woobly when you're on it. However, can you lose spasticity from it?

I've lost some weight and haven't been active since this all came on. Just started glute exercises recently.
Today, my hamstrings and thighs weren't burning with pain in the hamstrings. However, my left knee felt loose and then I felt a cramp in my left groin area while walking. Now I have a fasiculation in the left shin.

Have I lost spasticity? Or is this due to posture?

@Tiber2011:

Spasticity, as you mention on your post, is a feature that presents in the muscles when there has been damage to your UMN (Upper Motor Neurons) which is a feature seen in ALS as well as in PLS.

You haven't been diagnosed with ALS or PLS therefore, the word "spasticity" shouldn't apply here.

I saw this at *Wikipedia:

Spasticity is a feature of altered skeletal muscle performance in muscle tone involving hypertonia; it is also referred to as an unusual "tightness", stiffness, and/or "pull" of muscles. The word spasm comes from the Greek word σπασμός (spasmos), meaning "drawing, pulling."

Clinically spasticity is defined as velocity dependent resistance to stretch, where a lack of inhibition results in excessive contraction of the muscles, ultimately leading to hyperflexia (overly flexed joints).

It mostly occurs in disorders of the central nervous system (CNS) impacting the upper motor neuron in the form of a lesion, such as spastic diplegia, but it can also present in various types of multiple sclerosis, where it occurs as a symptom of the progressively-worsening attacks on myelin sheaths and is thus unrelated to the types of spasticity present in neuromuscular cerebral palsy rooted spasticity disorders.

As you can see, you shouldn't have spasticity as you do not have damage to your UMN.

About the medication you mention, I do not know how it works as I have never taken it.

Hope this helps.

Carlos

Last edited:
Well, I went to get checked out on Tuesday, and my legs were going into the hyper-reflex territory, accd. to the doctor.

Also, my leg hamstrings don't seem to want to stretch anymore. In fact, my physiatrist said (before I went to neuros) that they're "super-tight." That's why they feel like knives cutting into me when I walk. After I do a good stretch, it feel like my left leg wants to bow backwards.

Have I lost muscle mass, and are now being supported by hamstrings?

I'm taking Lyrica for neuropathy in the hands and feet. It does help some with the pain from muscle cramping, fasiculations and body itching but it does nothing for the spasticity itself. Stretching is helping the cramping and stiff muscles, but I need to take Cyclobenzaprine for spasms, Tramadol and Hydrocodone for pain. The stretching combined with the meds keeps the muscles from getting too tight. Any letup of the combination is quickly noticed. Lyrica has some side effects, mine was mood changes.

I tried Lyrica but it didn't help me and gave me dreadful nightmares. They left a week after d/c the Lyrica..I take tizanadine for spasms, which has a helpful side effect of drying up the mouth. Good luck!
Hollister

Typically, Lyrica is prescribed now for Fibromyalgia. If you are having pain as you indicated and your Neuro thinks that you may not have MND then they may be wanting to see if you respond the the Lyrica to see if you could have fibro instead..

Typically, Lyrica is prescribed now for Fibromyalgia. If you are having pain as you indicated and your Neuro thinks that you may not have MND then they may be wanting to see if you respond the the Lyrica to see if you could have fibro instead..

I hope this is the case. The Lyrica seemed to help. I don't know how long it takes for it to show results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back