Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Chester
for those who have read my post in the past. I am taking Ativan now for anxiety, and and seeking counseling.

just a quick questions. this applies to alot of people. I have a lump in my throat feeling that goes away if I eat something, and is also relieved (but not eliminated) by the Ativan. True or False if I can swallow just fine and the lump in the throat feeling is relieved by swallowing is is NOT a symptom of ALS. I am also not ahving trouble talking. I do feel better, but I think alot of people would benifit from getting this piece of mind.

No trouble talking means not ALS, at least in anything I have ever seen or heard.

Yes but unless you are having trouble initiating swallowing, or are choking, or are having slurred/nasal speach.....this should not be ALS correct? Globus is not a symptom if I am right?

See I have widespread muscles twitching (knows as BFS). and now the lump in throat (probably anxiety). Just want to help other rest assured that a lump feeling is NOT ALS! Neither is wide spread twitching without weakness for Atrophy.

Right, globus is not a symptom of ALS, it is just an inconvenient sensation.

it wasc quite different for me i had muscle twitching in one arm for many years i always thought it was due to workingout .3 years ago i felt like a lump was in my throat and was always there about a year later i developed slurred speech which i thought was due to having teeth pulled .then in july 09 my twitching went to the other arm a constant twitch wer were refered to see a nurologist .they did an emg and i was diagnosed with bulbar als and have over activivity throughout my wehole body .s thats how it all began for me

it could also be a thyroid problem can cause a goiter , tokahfang could be more right than me as i blame a lot on thyroid ..

Rick experiences what we call spasms in the throat. When he laughs he gets spasms. When he swallows he gets a tickle. Sometimes he has to swallow 3 o4 4 times to gets something down. Not all the time, but a couple times a day..... I believe that this is the beginning of serious problems such aspiration of food and drink. His congestion gets yellow which means infection is brewing. This has come on so gradual it is hardly noticed. ALS is like a thief in the night. Only about once a year does he need antibiotic for the infection, so we go on dealing with it like that. His swallow test went well, but showed the spasms. Thank God his progression is slow.

it wasc quite different for me i had muscle twitching in one arm for many years i always thought it was due to workingout .3 years ago i felt like a lump was in my throat and was always there about a year later i developed slurred speech which i thought was due to having teeth pulled .then in july 09 my twitching went to the other arm a constant twitch wer were refered to see a nurologist .they did an emg and i was diagnosed with bulbar als and have over activivity throughout my wehole body .s thats how it all began for me

Wow didnt know my symptoms could be ALS. Did the lump come and go or was it constant. Did it get better with swallowing? i am now scared. My lump is not constant, but rather comes and goes throught the day. Also my muscle twitches are certainly not constant. They are widespread, and only last 1-5 seconds. I only get maybe 5-10 per day now, but always in different area (not even consistent from one day to the next. When I eat the lump in the throat feeling is relieved sometime for a while, somtimes only for a half hour. Many times the feeling start in my chest with pressure then moves into my throat, but sometimes it is just in my throat. I can't believe this could be ALS. The doctor also said I have slightly brisk relfexes, but they are uniform throughout my body, which he said was normal.

Last edited:
The final thought. I just spoke with my Neuro (who told me my GP is wrong and I do NOT have brisk reflexes...he said they were at a 2 which is normal). A lump in the throat sensation that is not accompanied by swallowing issues, or is not worsened by swallowing is NOT a Neuro disorder. MND's or ALS would have choking or trouble getting food to go down. He said it would be obvious that something is not right. If there really was food stuck in your throat it would want to go one way or the other. either cough it up, or swallow it down. Your body would not just let it sit there. If it did then you would have other serious noticeable problems (like speech due to weakness). Basically if you don't cough (and I don't mean coughing because you feel like you should), I mean choking and involuntary coughing....dont worry. Probably anxiety, or GERD.

While I know a few people have said this was their first sign, the two things may not be related. Example: I have very slight double vision (not enough to be treated), and I have had it for as long as I can remember.....if some day I find out I have MS or myasenthia gravis that does not mean the first sign was double vision that started 20 years ago.

So unless you are choking on food, can't get food to go down, are aspirating food, or have slurred/nasal speech you do not have ALS. (and even if you do that doesn't mean it is ALS either) Doesn't mean you will never get it. It also doesn't mean you won't get hit by a bus tomorrow, or get cancer, or sneeze or trip getting out of bed or get a headache....get my point.

I had posted more or less what you have just stated . . . that a particular symptom that a PALS gets doesn't necessarily mean that symptom is attributed to ALS, which is why I have edited this post.

I'm glad you are finally thinking rationally and letting these ALS thoughts go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back