Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
va
City
arlington
Hi all,

I am very worried about the possibility of having ALS. For the past 2-3 years I have noticed the sensation of a lump in my throat. It essentially feels like there is a pill permanently stuck in the back of my throat, putting pressure on that area and feeling like it is hard to project my voice. Then in the past 1-2 years I have noticed a nagging ache in my left lower back, which I thought might just be caused by the way I sit at work, until I began having slight but widespread muscle twitches all over my body the past few weeks. The specific twitching muscle can't be seen the way an eye twitch can, but rather the twitch will cause my entire arm or leg to move just slightly. I also am experiencing a sensation in my back of needing to shiver but not actually doing so (even when I am not cold).

I decided to start researching my two nagging symptoms of the lump in the throat and the back pain, along with the muscle twitching, and I came across ALS. Can anyone who has been diagnosed with ALS PLEASE tell me if their symptoms were similar to mine, or can any doctors on this forum give their input? I have an appointment with my GP but not for a few weeks, and I am so scared until then.

Thanks

Well unsure one good thing about ALS is that it doesn't start with a back ache. A pinched nerve or ruptured disc can though. The throat can be as simple as a polyp or growth in your throat. Check out BFS, bet you didn't even have that much till you started looking for a diagnosed. By all means see a doctor but put one foot in the grave yet.
AL.

that's the same thing i should of did al. anytime you search twitching the web takes you right to als. and what did i do started freaking out and the twitching became worse.

Have an MRI and see an expert neurologist in MND

Thanks Al, it does make me feel better to know that a back ache isn't a primary symptom of ALS. If I had muscle twitches alone or a lump in my throat alone then I don't think I would be so worried since I know there are a million other things that can cause these symptoms. I think my main concern is the fact that I have both of these symptoms at the same time. How many years does one typically experience primary symptoms before being diagnosed? Has anyone felt the lump in the throat as their first symptom? How soon after the primary symptoms do the muscle twitches follow?

Thanks everyone for your input

Funny thing about ALS Yes those can be a symptom but it also can be a host of other minor things You need to be seen and evaluated.
I had a lump in my throat at first and thought it was a post nasal drip but then other things followed like slurred speech tongue scalloping and athropy of the tongue .
Pat1

Lump in Throat

Hi. This is my first post although I have been visiting this site for over a month now. I have had polyps removed from my vocal chord twice in the last year and I have another one now. I am told this is due to a form of acid reflux, which makes sense to me. What draws me to this site is that I started experiencing a muscle twitch in my right calf just behind my knee and I have had severe muscle cramps in that same area. I am beginnnig to feel twitching - although very slightly - in other areas including my left calf and thigh, right thigh and even sometimes in my abdomen. I get this feeling of goosebumps that seem to cover my right hip and move down my leg to my ankle. I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my right foot about three months ago and even though I am a runner, I have not had the stamina to run for a while. Even so, this heel pain seems to be growing worse. Perhaps it really is PF. I said I used to run. I was running up to three miles every other day until about a month ago. Now I can't finish mowing the front yard of my home without sitting down because of severe fatigue. When I am done I have extreme pain in my right leg and am usually unable to move from the sofa for the rest of the day. My leg begins to twitch like crazy afterwards also. My wife and I used to joke about it but now I am worried. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week and I can't focus on anything else but this right now.

My question is about the symptoms (polyps) and what was called scaling? What is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back