Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
massachusetts
City
weymouth
i thank you for your responce. at your first appointment at a mda/als clinic did they do the emg that day or did you have to come back after your first appointment with them. i am thinking tomorrow will only be a first check and questions then schedule more test down the line. i am hoping they can test right away but i doubt it

The clinic I went to, which is MDA approved, but I didn't see it on the links someone posted (I wonder why?), schedules an EMG and nerve conduction test for every new patient on their first visit. Isn't that awesome?! They schedule new patients only on Tues. and Thurs. so they can spend time with them. I wish all the clinics did it like this, it would sure help many on this site. I wish you luck at your appt. Let us know how it goes. Leslie

Leslie -

Which ALS clinic did you go to?

Liz

EMG and nerve conduction

Hi,

Just for more info. I went to the University of Michigan (U of M) ALS clinic and had both EMG and nerve conduction tests done. I go again this Thursday April 5 to see if I have MMN or "Atypical ALS." The ALS clinic at U of M does require a referral first from a neurologist and I think the EMG and nerve conduction already done at least once. I had them twice before I went to U of M in Dec. 06. They act as the "second opinion." Hope this helps. Peg

i guess the thing that scares me most is my throat area this time. i can swallow good i think but some discomfort. No much excessive salvia but when i caugh i sometime will have salvia come out easy. not sure if i am losing my voice or not but i know i do have some slurring of speach. i do have some pain in the back of neck behind the thoart so i am hoping this is causing my voice and throat problems. i just really have a bad bad feeling this is bulbar als and that is the worst case you can gte. I would rather those my abilty to walk then lose my voice and especially because you die so much quicker with bulbar als the limb als. so again please please pray i do not have als

i am not eating well and i cannot tell if it is swallowing or chewing problems or all just in my head. it seem i can move my chin good and swallow good but i just keep thinking soemthing is not right. my stomach is sick and when i eat i think i am going to throw up (GAG) maybe it is something to do with the back of the neck area i hope so also maybe so kinda of gasto trouble. i just am convinced in my head it is bulbar als. i hope an emg test will rule that out. well again god bless all of you

I think an EMG will make you feel better about what is going on. From time to time I also have trouble swallowing, a weak jaw with cramping, but my EMG was clean and I am sure I have something else going on. So hang in there, there are a lot of possibilities of what could be happening to you. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and things start to get better. Don't worry yourself sick, please. We are all thinking of you and hoping for the best. Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back