Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
I love new words, but I can never use them--no one understands them.

INTRACTABLE PROBLEM = can't practically be solved. For instance, a math problem that is theoretically solvable, but it would take a million computers a thousand years to do.

My current favorite: IDIOPATHIC: Literally, "my own suffering" now meaning "I dunno." Example, I lost an inch (of height) since my younger days, and no one knows why, so I have IDIOPATHIC HEIGHT LOSS.

When someone keeps talking to me, droning on and on, about their own diseases, I say: "That's undoubtedly an intractable idiopathic gonococcal-tubercular complex. I wouldn't even mention it to my PCP, just do the uvular aspirin rub therapy for a couple days. Fix you right up."

One day at work, I asked the guys in the break room where a man's uvula was. A range of emotions went around the room, but no one had an answer.

Love it Mike.

I was always taught that “idiopathic” means the doctors are idiots and the patients are pathetic.

Regarding novel diseases, a colleague and I came up with “multi axial polypsychopathy” to describe a person with multiple psychiatric diagnoses. “Axial” refers to categorization of psychiatric disorders as defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manuel of Psychiatric Disorders (axis 1 is mood disorders, axis 2 is personality disorders, etc.).

A guy I met described a severe respiratory infection as “acute gungiitis”, and described diarrhea as “typhoodius of the blow hole”.

And then there is Schmidt Syndrome. “What is Schmidt Syndrome?” you ask. Well it was on a quiz we gave to medical students working in our hospital. One student had no clue, so he made up his own answer: “It’s a triad of mental retardation, drooling, and the penis dangling below the knees”. The chief medical resident was so impressed with the student’s answer that he gave him credit for the answer! (True story).

And finally, euphemisms. Like when the dentist looked in my mouth and described the changes as “physiologic”.

To answer the question. It's the same place as a woman's. :roll:

Have you thought about leaving a dictionary in the bathroom as reading material? Peace and blessings, B. :cool:
Thoroughly enjoyed the post!:razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back