Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask Social Security for TERI Case Procedure

Delb, I've been told by our ALS Assn people that Social Security caseworkers often don't know that ALS applicants are entitled to receive fast-track treatment under their TERI procedures. You need to assert your right to this. Here is a quote from another post that might help you and your doctor (or Annette or Texgirl!) get you some benefits faster:

"Note: SSA has an expedited procedure for processing terminal illness cases to ensure that a favorable decision can be made expeditiously. The code word for this type of case is "TERI" case. A person with ALS (particularly if advanced symptoms are present) may want to advise SSA, at the time of application, that TERI case procedures are appropriate."

- http://www.alsa-stl.org/view_story.php?id=144
- http://www.alsa-ncac.org/images/doc_...rity-rules.pdf

Good luck, and God bless you.
Carol

Sorry, I should have given due credit to Pearl for the quote in my above post. It was taken from the thread "Medicare AHHH." Carol

A lot of good ideas. I am not helpless. Anything but. I am lost and depressed, but a fighter. And deciding what areas of my life to fight in besides the disease itself. Hopefully my bad luck the last 2-3 years will go back to good luck like all the previous years.

montanacarol,
do you think that he should get his benefits from SSA when we first applied (April 2003)? I think so and did appeal but I don't know how long this can take, he has SSDI which was told that it basically was a form of welfare, they people at the office we are assigned to are HEARTLESS! We leave there feeling like we are begging for something that we need to survive. It is hard enough dealing with this disease and the extra stress from these agencies make you want to give up........I DON"T ! just wondering and my caseworker from the MDA did tell us about the teri law and that is what I think expedited the first check but the back pay is what I am wondering about?!

Hi Annette! When my son was diagnosed'ed on March 29, 2006, they assigned him a social worker right away. He could have done everything in one day, but he was so shocked at the bad news that he just wanted to get away from that place. He told them he'd go back the next day, and he did. Once they started on his paperwork they told him right away when he was getting his first check. He got a check for April, that was his first one. He kept getting a check every month until he passed. I sent his last check back, because it was issued after he passed. Good luck to each one of you, and God bless.

Oh, Annette about the back pay that sounds kinda far fetched to me. You are lucky to get a penny out of this darn government! I am wishing you luck anyway. Who knows? It might work!

Irma

yeah, i have been receiving the checks for I guess a year now, but I went to that damn office in 2003 and have documentation from them, but my concern is the type of disability that he receives because of his points. Musicians! He never reported his income for many years...........before I knew him......You know Rock and Roll! aaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh
thanks though I did file an appeal so we will and know soon how that works, will let everyone know if and when that happens.

Well after being relative nice to me this week, my wife is back to being evil again. Besides complaining about everything I do, she says she is going to buy a bed this weekend and move me into a small bedroom on the other side of her house. Out of site, out of mind I guess. Sheer insanity !

Hi delb, so sorry to hear your problems with your wife are up and down. They seem to be escalating though, right? I hate to ask you this. Is she bipolar? Just wondering? How are you coping with all this stress? You're probably better off in a home for the disabled, or terminally ill. This person is doing you more harm than good. God bless your heart!

Irma

Hi Irma,
You are probably right. But I am determined to beat ALS, as I have defeated worse than it in my life. And have to maintain a positive outlook. She has always blamed me for every little thing that goes wrong. In past years I just ignored her or gave her a piece of my mind. Now I can't even do that, as she won't read my notes or talk to her with readplease from my computer. Therefore my anger is bottled up and growing...... Venting here helps a little though. Can't just go to some state home though, as I have too many things collected over my life that in my hands and with my knowledge is worth far more than the house and checking account she stole from me. And she knows this, and is probably the only reason she has not followed though on her many threats to leave me.

Well, this may be the end of the line. After being given a cheap bed I would not buy for a kid. Made to carry it in my condition. Nagged endless all day. And being called every name in the book. Am moving out.... Don't know where or how. But if you don't hear from me it is because I don't have a internet connection or computer. I have just plain had it with the lack of anything.

Well I'm still here for now. After indicating I would move she acted nice for 3 days. Starting to act a little evil again now though. Just taking it one day at a time. Still lost and depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back