Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
A couple of months after diagnosis Chris met another local PALS through fb.

He and his wife came for morning tea to meet us. Chris used the food processor to mix up the last batch of scones he ever made (he was famous for his scones as a cafe owner). He couldn't manage to eat a scone himself.

At that time (around August last year) Pete had one completely paralysed arm, but was otherwise in great shape. We all formed a fast bond.

Within months Chris and I could see all the telltale signs - slight slurring, care drinking liquids and a slightly off gait.

Pete and his wife were stunned at how fast Chris then deteriorated and his death was a real wake up for them of the true terminal nature of what was happening in their own home.

Over the past six months I have often visited and began helping out a bit with Pete as his wife has had her own health issues. So I was back to changing and making up electric beds, emptying commodes and bottles, doing peg feeds. I was honoured that Pete would allow me to help, and especially when he allowed me to take him 30 km away to a doctor appointment for a skin cancer removal.

On Tuesday this week, with most of the family under the influence of the flu, Pete developed severe breathing issues. The local hospital had a hard time assisting him, and he spent the night there under the watchful eye of his wife with them attempting to keep him comfortable. Sadly Tuesday was her birthday.

He was then transferred to palliative care yesterday and passed away peacefully at 8.50 last night with his family by his side.

Pete was a man who had lived an incredibly full life. He was born in a POW camp, and was nearly 5 years old when the family was released. He lived many years here in Australia on what some would consider 'hippy communes' - what I would call 'living with nature'.
I feel blessed that I could help out just a little and was a part of the family and friends supporting Pete. I just wanted a remembrance to him to be printed here, even if they were never members here.

Pete did the ice bucket challenge here at my place last year, though a modified one, he did an ice bucket over his arm (his good arm). Pete was 73 years old.

Fly free Pete, you beat this f*cker.

Tillie,
The love you have for your friend shines throughout your post.
Thank you for sharing his story with us.
I too, am glad he's free.
God bless you and all the good you do, Janelle xxxxxxx

So very sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great fella. He and Chris are eating scones now.

it is tough to face the days ahead

...................:(

Very sorry for your loss of your friend. May he fly free

>So very sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great fella. He and Chris are eating scones now.

Ditto that!

>it is tough to face the days ahead

yup :-(

thanks tillie for sharing your friends story. you are a double cals and know the ropes and the scores i value your judgements and experiences. 1love chally

Yes, fly free Pete...

Tillie, you make the lives of so many pAls better including all of us here. I'm sure Pete felt the same.

Hugs,
Kay

Tillie is a true friend to us all.

Tillie I am so very sorry for your loss. I think one of your precious gifts is the ability to help others even when particularly difficult for yourself. Your love for all of us shines through.

Tillie, Pete sounds like a great guy and you and Chris were/are great friends. I'm sorry for your loss.

--Laurie

hugs sweet friend

Thank you for giving us a glimpse of who Pete was. I'm sorry for your loss.

Jim

Hey Tillie, I hope today was a happier day...
Lots of love, Janelle xxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back