00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Thank you in advance for taking time to read my post <3

I am a 43 year old female. Recently, I started noticing a significant loss of strength in my left hand. I have a history of cervical spine issues, so I went to see my Physical Therapist. She did a grip strength test today: 70 in the right hand (dominant hand); 30 in the left (non-dominant). She said this was the worst she has ever seen in terms of the difference between R and L. I don't know how long I've had weakness in the left (since it's my non-dominant). I do know that I have had spasms in my left bicep (and to a milder extent the right) for 2 years, which is also progressing noticeably in recent weeks. These are not small fasciculations--it's a hyper-flexive type response when I engage the bicep muscle in some activity: if I use my bicep (trying to lift something, for instance), it flexes but then won't release for a long time. I have to massage it for it to calm down.

Additionally, over the weekend, after walking home while carrying grocery bags, my left hand stopped working entirely. I couldn't will it to move. It was completely non-responsive, like the nerve connection had just died. This has abated somewhat over the last few days, but I notice a pronounced weakness in the hand since then.

Does this sound like ALS to you?

Thank you,
J.

It could be many things. There are lots more likely causes of hand weakness

you were here a year ago and were going to have an emg what happened then? If it was your cspine did you have pt then? Any other treatment? spasms, weakness in bicep

Thank you so much for your reply, Nikki. I never had the EMG. I don't know why really, except that perhaps I got overwhelmed. I have not had any treatments since these symptoms began, except the PT which I began very recently. I have had PT for the cervical in the past, but that was long before any of these symptoms emerged.

Wanting to post an update: I (finally) had a EMG/nerve conduction study today and the results were NORMAL. Thank you to those of you who read and commented on my post. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers; I feel very hopeful about the study at Northwestern, and I hope that a cure for ALS finds it way to everyone who is suffering quickly, safely, and equitably. <3

Congratulations. Have a long and happy life!
thanks for letting us know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back