Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Schenectady
My Father started showing ALS symptoms in November 2007 and was finally diagnosed on February 14, 2008 with limb on-set ALS. This past week, we were informed by my Dad's palliative Doctor that my Dad only has a few weeks left to live. My heart is broken into a million pieces. His ALS progressed very quickly and aggressively. He never hit a plateau. He is on 24 hour morphine to help alleviate the mental and physical pain he is in. He needs his BIPAP all the time. When he is awake, he can barely speak anymore. My Mom is no longer able to give him the care he needs, so my Parents made the devastating decision to have my Dad admitted to the Vermont Respite House were he will recieve full time hospice care. I cannot believe this is happening. I never thought ALS would progress like this. I am trying to stay strong for my Mom, but it is so hard.

Jessica

So sorry

So sorry, Jessica, to read your post. You have fought in a very difficult battle and I know there will be sorrows to come... but know this WILL make you stronger. Take this time to let your father know you love him so, with your touch and your words, in case he can hear you...... and after his time comes, you will need to draw on good memories and know that you gave him wondrful care. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family as you deal with this awful disease and its outcome. Marjorie and Rick

Jessica:

You have come to the right place for support. I promise to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Jessica,

I'm so very sorry about your Dad having to go to hospice.

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and your family.

Jessica,

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. It's difficult to see the mountain when you're in the valley, but God tells us in Romans 8:28, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (NASB). Hold fast.

Mommi - waiting diagnosis

Jessica,
I am so sorry that you are going through this. My mom died January 21, 2006, nine days after a massive stroke. She died at hospice. My sisters and I were not prepared for it happening so fast. We thought we were dealing with a stroke victim, not one who was dying. The time I spent with my mother during that nine days is something I will never forgot. It changed me forever. We told Mom that it was okay for her to go, that we would miss her but that we would be okay. I spent every minute I could with her. I held her hand all the time, I smoothed her hair back, I read poetry to her, and I told her about things in our life as her daughter and what she meant to me.

I know how hard this must be for you. Going through that with my mother has helped me deal with my husband's ALS. It has made me stronger. You will be okay and you will be able to look back on this time with your father and mother and you will have no regrets. It is in
G-d's hands now. I am so sorry for the pain you family is going through now. Be strong.

Lee

I'm Sorry !

Dear Jessica:

how devastating ! i'll say a prayer for you and your family. it's ok to cry, it's very painful.

but let your dad see your beautiful smile. Shane

You don't have to be strong with us, Jessica. Feel free to vent anytime. Cindy

Jessica,

My prayers are with you and your family. May God give you strength during this difficult battle.
Keep your faith strong,
brenda

Jessica,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope you are getting the love and cuddles from friends and family. Cry with these so you can smile when your with your mother and father. My mother was diagnosed in Oct 07 and she is declining rapidly, nothing can prepare you for any of this, and I dont think anything anybody can say can make you feel any better.
Take care of yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back