Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
Have been taking MiraLAX but stool is now too loose and troublesome. Would there be an issue taking 1/2 dose of an anti diarrhea pill?

Why not cut back on miralax instead? Taking something to counteract it both seems unnecessary and will leave you playing catch up as your system will get confused

Miralax is a laxative. It makes you go. So if you’re having diarrhea, you can go off the Miralax. Consider adding a fiber supplement which can actually put your stools on a more even keel so they’re neither too runny nor too hard too pass. Make sure you take a lot of water with fiber.

Also be aware that sometimes loose stool can actually be the result of being stopped up. I know that sounds paradoxical. But sometimes there is leakage around the blockage.

But step one is to temporarily halt the Miralax and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses. Loose stools present a problem as cleanup is an issue. Cannot get to a commode without a strong persons help and cleanup is difficult for my Cals. Will see what happens today. Next time I change I will try a depends and see if that helps expedite cleanup. Should I get some type of a gown to wear with the depends?

May I recommend going to one of our members website " ALS From Both Sides", click on Index, and then "Toilet Troubles". It's a wonderful tutorial on all things " digestive". There are so many products and types of products out there and her info really helps make sense of it all. This was a constantly evolving and changing issue with my husband and her info really helped us with managing it. Kate

also you can reduce miralax dose and go to a half dose if stopping it altogether will make you constipated. even when using miralax it's helpful to take a fiber supplement like metamucil because it gives your stools some bulk so it actually helps with both constipation and diarrhea.

I use a combination of fiber and stool softeners.

For fiber I use pure psyllium and for keeping the stool soft I use 300 mg of Colace Clear per day. It took me getting hemorrhoids and an anal fissure to find the right combination.

Miralax gave me diarrhea and stomach cramps. I couldn't find an optimal dose. I either had constipation or diarrhea.

I also drink at least 8 cups of water a day, sometimes more and I've been taking magnesium for years @ 1,200 mg per day.

I use a daily stool softener and at least two dietary foods that are known to promote regularity. Pear juice is very good.

all great advice, and I would like to add one thing. If you have the resources, consider a bidet seat for your toilet. They can help with a few problems. Mine has a "vortex" function that is like an enema, plus the cleaning function that can make life much easier for your caregiver(s.) It can be a huge help with hemorrhoids, as well! Good luck.

I agree. I think my bidet is what helped the fissure without surgery and I've used the enema function. The bidet seat was the first piece of "equipment" I bought after being diagnosed. I wish I had one 40 years ago.

I also discovered that sometimes the Bio Bidet 2000 doesn't dry completely so I use soft cloths instead of toilet paper. Some brands are irritating, even the most expensive ones. I still use TP when peeing but I always use the wash function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back