Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
SE
State
Skåne
City
Southern Sweden
My PALS (mom) agreed today that perhaps some part time home help would be agreeable. She lives alone in a big house and is getting exhausted walking around, and wants to be able to go out, but it is getting difficult alone. She's only diagnosed a month ago so this is all happening faster than she can adjust to it (which I know is often the case).

I'd love some suggestions about the process of finding good home help.

Her needs: laundry assistance, some meal prep, light housekeeping (more straightening up), accompanying her on errands (mom is still driving). We're thinking part time, perhaps 4 hours/day, 2 days/week for a start.

She's had a few referrals to the same agency from some of the home health therapists, so I was thinking to try them. And we know some people who've said "my caregiver has friends available..." So I'm interested in input on the following:
- agency vs private individual?
- best sources for either agencies or individuals?
- questions to ask in the interview process?
- key skills / experience you look for?
- how do you determine a good match?

Thanks for any input!

Private individual. With an agency, you pay their markup and have less control over whom and when. After all, do you find your plumber through an agency or through referrals?

You'll find several threads on sources, including CNA programs, college career centers, friends/family referrals as you say, neighborhood/senior centers.

The rest amounts to how you would hire anyone: you get references, I Google them and if any question do an online background check, they're on probation initially to see if it's a match, you ask the questions that you would ask if someone were to care for you personally, and the match is in the "eye" of your mom.

I have someone one day a week for four hours. She cooks and does laundry. She is willing to train on my equipment. I trust her because she is a friend of a friend. I interviewed her. When she arrived she had done research on ALS and had taken care of a terminally ill cancer patient and understood that my needs would increase. She is willing to do more hours, when needed.

One of the things I suggest to new PALS/CALS is to set up a LotsaHelpingHands web site. Google it. Family and friends can volunteer to help, if needed. Sometimes people want to help but don't know how to ask or what is required.

If you don't know of someone, I would think a local college might have a program where students entering the medical field would like something on their resume. Start asking friends if they know anyone.

I was playing cards in our social room a few weeks ago and a lady at my table said she just finished a job caring for an elderly man with Parkinson's. We talked a bit and I asked her if she would consider helping me when I needed. She charges between $12 and $15 an hour depending on what I need. She has done bathing, cleaning, washing dogs, and all kinds of miscellaneous things. She said she would be available nights, if necessary. An agency would limit duties and charge anywhere from $20 to $25 for this type of service.

Getting someone early on is a good idea because they are there when you really need them and they can help find others as the need arises.

We use an agency. Have talked to two nursing homes, several churches, a can program and called every referral we could get. None of the private folks have even returned our calls but one. Many of them already have new places when we call The one woman is a wonderful and very thorough cna who comes two nights a week so I can get a chance at sleep.

The agency people have been very baseline in skills and quality. We were not shy about complaints (I don’t insist they be cna trained. I do insist they wash their hands and at least be compliant with their mental health meds. ) of course, we also have the luxury (?) of me being here af primary full time caregiver. The agency lies regularly and stupidly, and their cna equivalent training is a 3 day video course (the third day is just q and a, if the students have any). With time, we have gotten some decent care 6 days a week, and we mostly are assured they have backups lined up. Though one reason I put my practice on hold was no shows and missed court dates.

Maybe it is the criminal lawyer in me, but I would make sure any private care giver filled out a criminal background check from the state police before I left them home alone with mom. I have stories...

Every single health care professional we talked to recommended going with a private paid caregiver, we just haven’t found anyone yet. I haven’t even gotten to the criminal history request yet. Most don’t even call back. So we keep at it.

As for the schedule, we started small (3 days, 4 hours each, mostly as support and light housekeeping) and added time as mom has progressed. We just added a Saturday person starting next week after mom gets her PEG.

You’ll find what works for you, or what you can work with. Good luck!
Cee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back