Diagnosis
09/2019
Country
CA
State
ON
City
st. catharines
Hi, New here. i have not managed to find a solution for my father since he has been diagnosed with ALS in sept 2019. so far i pretty much carry him up and down the 4 stair we have to go shower and for bed time. but i think soon i will not be able to . stair lift will not work , and ALS canada wanted a lot of money to set it up. wheelchair lift for outside are too big inside the house. i am looking for any solution i can get his wheelchair few stairs up we have a perfect empty spot beside the stairs that fits 2 wheelchair pretty much. anyone knows a solution that can recommend me please. thank you.

Do a search on "Stair/Lift" and watch the video . Around 1:38 it starts to get to the point. Lots of $$$

Is there running room for a ramp? They are available in custom sizes/installations. They can put small strips or guides, or a non-slip lining on it to avoid caster slip depending on the slope.

I am not sure of what constraint you are dealing with that prevents a stair lift or outside lift to work. Those are available in a wide variety of configurations, so may be worth further investigation.

There is also a variety of free standing elevators, some of which seem large enough to hold a wheelchair. They can be configured to open on one side at one level and the other side at the other level.

An out of the box solution might be to have a wheelchair at each level and to use something like an extra tall hoyer style lift to lift him from one wheelchair, up (or down) the 4 steps and then into the other wheelchair. You might need to build your own or modify an off the shelf hoyer to do something like this.

Steve

Another thought is to put a temporary, but strong, steep ramp over the stairs and then install a winch at the top. The winch could then be used to assist the wheelchair climbing the ramp or descending the ramp.

One of the members built such a configuration for a toy hauler (a trailer designed to haul motorbikes, atvs, etc.) for his PALS.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back