Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
GA
City
Thomasville
My husband is really losing his ability to talk (bulbar onset ALS). He has a "boogie board" for scratching a quick word here and there when we don't understand him, but it won't be long until he needs to use something to talk for him. We have an iPad with various speaking apps but it's a little large to carry around. We're hoping there is something out there that is very portable, small enough to fit in one hand and that is used precisely for talking. Also that insurance might cover, obviously they don't cover iPads. Suggestions? Thanks so much!

I don't know how shaky his hands are, but I believe the iPhone can get the same app. I might be wrong though. There are carrying cases for the iPads so he doesn't have to carry it around with him. When my mom was able to type she carried the iPad everywhere in her purse. I know he probably doesn't want to carry around a purse, so maybe you could put it in yours. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Rog uses his iphone constantly with "speak it". He started with the iPad but when we upgraded phones, it ended up on his phone...

Jen

If money is an issue, i pod Touch is a bit cheaper than the i phone, same size touch screen. You can run the same app, Speak it, on it but of course you can't use it as a cell phone.
If you don't necessarily need the "voice" feature. If you are happy to be able to type something and have the other person read it you can use an android "smart" phone with a program called Deaf note, which is free to try and less than $5 to buy and works very well. As far as I know there are no android apps out yet that works as WELL as Speak it but the app talka droid works semi well.
The key is to get a touch screen large enough to be able to easily use but small enough to be more portable than the i pad. I tried the i pod touch/ i phone 3.5" touch screen and found it too small for my short fat fingers to work easily. I still have full use of my hands (bulbar like your husband) but just found that size touch screen key pad too small for me to use quickly, I had too many mistakes. I bought a sam sung galaxy S 2. with a 4.3" display and in landscape (turned sideways) I can type pretty fast with two fingers. I do okay with one finger in the vertical position. The sam sung galaxy S 3 has a 4.8" screen and that does make it easier still to use but costs a bit more. If those are still too small you can get the Samsung tablet model called note with a 5.3" screen that can be used as a phone as well but is pretty dear but would fit in a shirt pocket but not a pants pocket. It all comes down to how small a screen you can physically work and how much you are willing to pay, if you need a cell phone and if you have to have apple apps or can make due with android apps. I would hope a good android app such as speak it will be out soon. No I don't work for sam sung. lol

Duh, it didn't even dawn on me about the iPhone, which we both have. I'll put Speak It on there and let him try. He still has all his dexterity, imagine it may get harder years (hopefully) down the road when his fingers give him trouble. For now, that's a good option. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back