US
State
TN
City
Clarksville
Fasciculations for over 18 months.
MRI and blood work is normal.
Had EMG/ NVC 3 months ago, normal.

Problem, about a month after EMG my jaw went spastic one day and has been fatiguing and getting really tight when eating ever since. Initially the tightness only happened on one side when eating, but now it gets tight on both sides, plus it’s hard to open my jaw all the way when I finish eating and my jaw stays sore for quite a while after. I did a little creative testing for strength. I took a 15 pound weight, laid down on my left side and balanced the weight on my jaw. I was able to shift my jaw to the right as many times as I wanted, however, when I tested the left side of my jaw I could only move the weight one time. At the time of the EMG, my jaw was not giving me issues so they never looked at it. Does this sound like the beginning stages of ALS?

No, but I would not put weights on your jaw again. Instead, I would see a dentist. The EMG would show if you had motor neuron problems whether your jaw was tested or not.

Best,
Laurie

I appreciate the response. I was apprehensive about posting at first, but read a thread on here from 2014, talking about jaw concerns. The individual said she “felt” as though the jaw was weak, and someone replied that if it was not weak, then you issue. I then read the sticky that said it’s about failing, not feeling, so I thought, it’s quite a bit weaker than the other side so I thought I would ask.

You really can't test your own strength, no matter how creative. Doctors however are highly trained and can (but not on themselves either).
Have a good read here - my husband had bulbar onset ALS and nope nothing like what you are experiencing.
Try and keep an open mind and let your doctors figure things, and believe them if they tell you something. I truly wish you all the best.

Read this through carefully too as we put a lot of time into putting it together to help you.

Thread closed for multi id. Please seek help for health anxiety. Please don't open another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back